Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
OK. I've been using OS X since October 2003 (12" 1GHz Powerbook) and have been using it exclusively (aside from work) since just before Christmas.

In that time, I've only found two solid complaints.

1. /Applications becomes just plain obnoxious after a while. I'm a minimalist at heart, so having everything in the Dock just pisses me off. I can handle this in Windows by rearranging the Start Menu as needed to suit my needs.

I suppose I could manage my own pseudo-Start Menu, but that's a kluge I'd rather not deal with. I don't want to install a third-party launcher (such as Quicksilver), either, because, like I said, I'm a minimalist.

Now ...

2. I can't figure out how to paste plaintext from one app to another. Safari and iChat are the biggest offenders here. I copy text from a site, paste it into iChat, and holy crap, it's friggin' huge.

That just pisses me off. Ugh.

So ... my question here is ... am I missing something? Is that an obvious solution to either problem (or, if I'm lucky, both)? Is there an elegant work-around for either?

Thanks.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
For the first:

Just create a folder and put the aliases to your wanted apps in it, then put the folder on the right hand side of the line in your dock (left to your trash can).
When you click with a ctrl click(or right click) on it you have your very own start menu.

As for the second I don't know what you mean, care to elaborate further?

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
I think he wants the copied text to be free of formatting.

I know that if I want to copy and paste something from a website, I can just copy it into Notepad (and it will fully clear it of formatting). Be that HTML/link formatting, bold/italics, font size. Its all cleared.

I guess in OSX it would want to preserve it, but I can see that if you were a Windows user you would miss that format-free copying.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
1. I left all my apps in /Applications, which is where they want to be, but I never look in there. I created my own folder (name it what you want, I called my Apps). Then I dragged aliases of my favorite applications (the ones I actually use) from Applications into Apps. Finally, I dragged the Apps folder to the dock (you can take anything else you want off the dock). Now my dock has one folder (like "Start" if you must use that analogy) and I can click-hold and pick any application from the alphabetical list in the Apps folder. I can even rename the aliases if I prefer something other than the original application's name, e.g., Word vs. MS Word.

I didn't do this to the minimalist extreme, but I use it for my second-tier applications.

By the way, you can also put aliases of applications from elsewhere in Apps, e.g., applications from the Utilities folder, or even from the Developer folder if you installed it.

2. There's a semi-convention that shift-option-command-v pastes into an application using the current style. Look at the Edit menu in TextEdit to see what I mean. Mail.app has it too. However, iChat is missing this menu choice. Grrrr! So I agree with your complaint about iChat (at least under Panther, I have yet to try it in Tiger).

By the way, in iChat, if you find you have some text the way you want it and other text wrong (e.g., huge), highlight some text that's right and press these keys: option-command-c, command-a, option-command-v. That's copy-style select-all paste-style.

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
The Applications thing drove me crazy too, I moved a copy of the folder onto my dock and right clicking on it gets me to everyting easily & quickly :)

allison.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Diatribe said:
Just create a folder and put the aliases to your wanted apps in it, then put the folder on the right hand side of the line in your dock (left to your trash can).
This is exactly what I *don't* want to do, as I said above (that's a kluge I'd rather not deal with).

Knowing that I'm not the only person with this frustration (and more than one person suggested such an arcane work-around) makes me wonder if Apple's bothered to address this for their power users yet.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Mav451 said:
I think he wants the copied text to be free of formatting.
Is "plaintext" a term lost on OS X users? I've got a background in DOS, Windows, and Linux, so perhaps I take plaintext for granted as part of my vocabulary.

In any case, you are correct. In Windows, anything copied to the clipboard is automagically converted to plaintext. That allows the receiving app to apply its own formatting.

That's the behavior I prefer -- whether it be a matter of habit or not -- and it's one of the few features that I sorely miss from non-Apple OSes.

Thanks.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Doctor Q said:
1. I left all my apps in /Applications, which is where they want to be, but I never look in there.
Thanks for the tip, but I've already tried that. It was far more work than I cared for it to be.

At this point, I'm almost willing to just use the dock and abandon browsing /Applications all-together.

By the way, in iChat, if you find you have some text the way you want it and other text wrong (e.g., huge), highlight some text that's right and press these keys: option-command-c, command-a, option-command-v. That's copy-style select-all paste-style.
Wow -- what an absurd work-around. I can't believe Apple hasn't addressed this yet.

Tiger is en route. Here's hoping the can at least solve half of my problems here.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
allisonv7 said:
The Applications thing drove me crazy too, I moved a copy of the folder onto my dock and right clicking on it gets me to everyting easily & quickly :)
This is currently what I do -- but I have 57+ listings in /Applications.

Even on my 20" LCD, the listing scrolls. Ugh.

Thanks, though.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
ChrisBrightwell said:
This is exactly what I *don't* want to do, as I said above (that's a kluge I'd rather not deal with).

Knowing that I'm not the only person with this frustration (and more than one person suggested such an arcane work-around) makes me wonder if Apple's bothered to address this for their power users yet.

Not to be rude, but I think power users have other things on their mind, and would have discovered, and or done what the people above have listed.

As far as Mac OS goes, I was a die hard Classic fan until about February when I got my first OS X equipped computer. Back then I had to move everything I wanted into the Apple Menu, or into the Control strip to access it quickly. I don't think your rearranging the Start menu on a windows system is much more or less difficult then creating a shortcut folder on your Dock.

One thing I miss myself, is the ability to create folders and drag them onto the top or bottom of my XP screen to make a Toolbar. Granted I don't have ANY other regrets in regards to dropping XP at home, but it is a small touch that is gone.

I still use Classic though :)

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
840quadra said:
Not to be rude, but I think power users have other things on their mind, and would have discovered, and or done what the people above have listed. [...] I don't think your rearranging the Start menu on a windows system is much more or less difficult then creating a shortcut folder on your Dock.
The nice thing about the Start Menu (where's my asbestos suit?) is that when you install something, it adds itself to the Start Menu.

If I use the kluge of building my own /Apps folder for a bunch of symlinks, I have to manually update that thing EVERY TIME I install something. That is, to be blunt, nothing short of a major pain in the ass.

As for power users having "other things" on their mind, you're absolutely correct. That's why I hopped over to OS X. In Windows, I was constantly micromanaging the system. I constantly had to deal with fine-grain details of the system that, really, I had no business fooling with.

With OS X, though, the OS is basically transparent. I don't see / unless I want to and everything is, by default, stored in ~/. The OS even makes it obvious that I should use ~/.

It sounds like I'll have to break down and implement the DIY Start Menu, but ugh. I was hoping someone here would have a more elegant hack.

Thanks.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
ChrisBrightwell said:
If I use the kluge of building my own /Apps folder for a bunch of symlinks, I have to manually update that thing EVERY TIME I install something. That is, to be blunt, nothing short of a major pain in the ass.

Dunno if it'll work but maybe just drag the Applications folder onto the Dock and then it should live update. I think...

Of course, then you'll have all of your apps there which isn't necessarily a good thing. :(

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
ChrisBrightwell said:
The nice thing about the Start Menu (where's my asbestos suit?) is that when you install something, it adds itself to the Start Menu.

As for power users having "other things" on their mind, you're absolutely correct. That's why I hopped over to OS X. In Windows, I was constantly micromanaging the system. I constantly had to deal with fine-grain details of the system that, really, I had no business fooling with.

With OS X, though, the OS is basically transparent. I don't see / unless I want to and everything is, by default, stored in ~/. The OS even makes it obvious that I should use ~/.

It sounds like I'll have to break down and implement the DIY Start Menu, but ugh. I was hoping someone here would have a more elegant hack.

Thanks.

Points well taken,

The auto populate is a part I do miss from Win OS, I guess someone may have an apple script to copy / update items in a sort of application folder that could be run every time you do an install, but again it wouldn't be automatic.

I will personally accept this shortcoming as opposed to dealing with Spyware, trojan applications, and popups like I had on XP.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
mad jew said:
Dunno if it'll work but maybe just drag the Applications folder onto the Dock and then it should live update. I think...

Of course, then you'll have all of your apps there which isn't necessarily a good thing. :(

That is exactly how mine is setup, it is cumbersome at first, but in most cases, XP did that anyway.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
840quadra said:
The auto populate is a part I do miss from Win OS, I guess someone may have an apple script to copy / update items in a sort of application folder that could be run every time you do an install, but again it wouldn't be automatic.
This would be an interesting little app.

If I weren't bogged down w/ school and work, I'd take it on. :)

I will personally accept this shortcoming as opposed to dealing with Spyware, trojan applications, and popups like I had on XP.
Funny thing -- I had none of those on XP, but it took a lot of work to fortify my machine. I had better things to do than fool around w/ HOSTS files and manually configuring firewalls.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Just a thought...

Possible workaround for question 2 (haven't tried it): Instead of copy and paste, try drag'n'drop... mark the text you want to move and just drag it over (drag'n'drop works fine with exposé and alt-tab, too, if you need to get from one app to another)... the reason I thought of this is that when you drag textClippings onto the Desktop (or wherever) they seem to be in plaintext (so if d'n'd keeps the formatting, then going via a textClipping on your Desktop might be a workaround)... ;)

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ
What is the problem??

Just use the dock!? I don't understand what all the fuss is about adding aliases and folders. Just drag what you want into the dock. DONE. Everything is one click away. How much easier can it get? How many programs are you installing on a daily basis? I guess I don't understand the problem with using the dock how it is supposed to be used. What is better than opening an app in one click rather than waiting for that sluggish start menu to show up.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Possible workaround for question 2 (haven't tried it): Instead of copy and paste, try drag'n'drop... mark the text you want to move and just drag it over
I try this, but I must keep missing the target to drag highlighted text. I often just wind up deselecting the text.

Thanks.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Edot said:
Just use the dock!? I don't understand what all the fuss is about adding aliases and folders. Just drag what you want into the dock. DONE. [...]
If you'd read my first message, you'd have seen this:

ChrisBrightwell said:
I'm a minimalist at heart, so having everything in the Dock just pisses me off.
I tried the "Everything in the dock" approach and it was distracting to have EVERYTHING there, not to mention that having to scrub over all the icons to find what I needed is time consuming.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
It sounds like Quicksilver would suit your needs. I'm not sure what your argument against it is. You keep emphasising that you're a minimalist, Quicksilver only appears when you invoke it and allows you to pretty much get rid of the dock...how much more minimal do you want?

Applespider

macrumors G4
I appreciate your problem since yes, the Applications list in Finder can be very clunky and I never quite got round to the Alias file either. I disagree with the Windows Start Menu though. I loathe how it either only shows those things I use a lot (in which case they're probably in my Dock on the Mac) or insists on showing you screedloads since everything you install ends up in there. I know they're all in my Apps folder too but being enclosed in a small window seems less burdensome.

To get back to your problem, I'd agree with Munkle and suggest you try out Quicksilver. It's wonderful and I haven't ventured near my Applications folder since I installed it. Hit control-space and start typing the name of the app. Generally within a couple of characters it will display your options, hit return to launch it and off you go. Wonderful! No kluges with remembering to create Aliases, it's just there!

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
ChrisBrightwell said:

What *I* do is configure my Recent Items (Apple Menu --> Recent Items (I think?)) menu to show only applications (and NOT documents), and show the maximum number of applications possible (I think 25 (sorry, I am on my Winblows PC at work so I am not sure :confused: )). Then, each time I open an application, it gets added to the Recent Items menu. Within a couple of days, all my commonly used applications are in the recent items menu, and they STAY there, making it like a de-facto Start Menu.

Hope that helps.

Kushiro

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2005
Genève, Suisse
TigerLaunch....

At the risk of offending minimalist sensibilities, have you looked into add-ons like TigerLaunch (free--applications only), Himmelbar (free, limited functionality, applications, files, etc.) or Moofmenu (Cheap, as I recall--I didn't buy it)? They give you an icon in the menu bar that gives a start menu-like list, and are pretty customizable if you take the time.

Not ideal, but I found it was easier than going through the application folder and it keeps the dock from getting too cluttered.

Altough, I have to agree with the others who suggested Quicksilver. Nifty app, that.

-Kush

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
I'm guessing this won't satisfy your Dock issues, but why not just use the key combination Command-Shift-A to open your applications folder? No extra folders with shortcuts to manage, no dock required. Doesn't get much more minimal than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.