My two Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AV8TOR, Oct 19, 2011.

1. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

First off let me say that I don't drink the Kool Aid of ether a PC or a MAC. This year we switched our work laptops from a HP to a Apple Mac Book Pro and shortly after I replaced our home Dell PC with a iMac. For the most part I am extremely pleased and for a while I actually felt like I stepped up in the computer world. Virus's aside (which I never really got on my PC because of good protection) I cannot believe how many beach ball hangups I get on both of my machines. Along with that is the kiss of death screen fade screen that happens occasionally but always at the wrong time. For what it's worth I have had way less blue screen crashs on a PC. Others in my department are having the same thing with their MBP's. I still love my Mac and will still buy another for the home but now after a year of using it and without being under the influence of Kool Aid there is still just as many problems with a mac than a pc.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you tried anything to fix the problems? Would you like some advice?

I have had multiple Macs now and they all have never really crashed.

3. AV8TOR thread starter macrumors regular

AV8TOR

Please I would love some advice. Our IT guy who does not know Mac's very well did some calling and asked me to do a Safe boot then go to terminal and flush the cache with sudo dnscacheutil -flushcache. This did not seem to work. I still get the beachball 15-20 times a day on my MBP.

Thanks

4. simsaladimbamba

What software is run on them?
    What does Activity Monitor say about RAM usage and page outs?

5. AV8TOR thread starter macrumors regular

AV8TOR

I should add that I have looked in activity monitor when this happens an do not see anything taking large % of the cpu.

6. simsaladimbamba

But what does the RAM say?
    And what software is run on them?

7. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Have you checked the console after a hangup or after a system crash? Often there is a useful error message that can clue you into what is happening.

8. AV8TOR thread starter macrumors regular

AV8TOR

2.6g free right now on my home computer and just basic software with the MS Office. I will check my work MBP later.

9. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Try reinstalling to os. Or download OnyX

----------

And repair disk permissions!