Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spittingllama

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
The first is the lack of visual indicatior that the MacBook is charging while the lid is closed which is a shame. Even an led on the usb-c cable would have been handy.

Also not including the new folding UK plug like I got with my apple watch.

Other than that loving this machine! My 2009 MacBook Pro looks and feels archaic next to it!

Anyone hesitating getting one shouldn't.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
The first is the lack of visual indicatior that the MacBook is charging while the lid is closed which is a shame. Even an led on the usb-c cable would have been handy.

Also not including the new folding UK plug like I got with my apple watch.

Other than that loving this machine! My 2009 MacBook Pro looks and feels archaic next to it!

Anyone hesitating getting one shouldn't.

I guess the tone that sounds when you plug it in, like the iPad/iPhone is the only indicator that the device is charging. A little LED on the cable head would have been nice, as you suggested.

spittingllama

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
I guess the tone that sounds when you plug it in, like the iPad/iPhone is the only indicator that the device is charging. A little LED on the cable head would have been nice, as you suggested.

Thanks I hadn't noticed the tone that played. Maybe it was because it was totally dead. Only got it yesterday and first time I've charged it tonight.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
If the charger is plugged into the wall and the device is plugged in... why wouldn't it be charging? I've never had any issues on my MBP with it not charging or never felt I need the led indicator.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
My only niggle so far is that I'm completely babying it and being stupidly careful how I place it down, what's around it making sure nothing bashes against it etc... :p

It's so pretty I don't want to damage it ha. ;)

Reactions: MisterMillz

spittingllama

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
My only niggle so far is that I'm completely babying it and being stupidly careful how I place it down, what's around it making sure nothing bashes against it etc... :p

It's so pretty I don't want to damage it ha. ;)

Haha I am the same. Thought I saw a scratch on the lid earlier... turned out to be a hair. phew :rolleyes:

Kiwi 99

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
If the charger is plugged into the wall and the device is plugged in... why wouldn't it be charging? I've never had any issues on my MBP with it not charging or never felt I need the led indicator.

The issue is that there's no way to tell when it's reached 100%. With an iPad you can press a button to see that, with previous MacBooks you could look at the green light, with the new MacBook you need to open the lid.

(Very much a 1st-world niggle of course)

I find it a wee bit of a niggle too, but I'm sure I'll adjust :D

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Haha I am the same. Thought I saw a scratch on the lid earlier... turned out to be a hair. phew :rolleyes:

Ha yeah I've had a few of them too!

I love how pristine it is! The last thing I want to do is damage it ha.

I've been keeping it in a very old 2008 MacBook case so it's naturally drowning it it's so big.
Does the job though!!

I also wouldn't mind an LED on the charger.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
The issue is that there's no way to tell when it's reached 100%. With an iPad you can press a button to see that, with previous MacBooks you could look at the green light, with the new MacBook you need to open the lid.

Ok, why do you need to know the exact moment it reaches 100% though? It doesn't have any effect on the battery.

Kiwi 99

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
Ok, why do you need to know the exact moment it reaches 100% though? It doesn't have any effect on the battery.

Indeed, there's no actual need to know. Some people prefer not to leave the charger in once it's reached 100% (for legacy historical notions mostly), and there's the other case where you're going to leave for somewhere, and you want it fully charged, and as soon as it's done you want to leave.

But (a) you'd just leave the lid open, and (b) the green light on Macs happened before 100% anyway.

So you're totally right, no need at all. See, I'm adjusting already :)

Reactions: MisterMillz

Kiwi 99

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
The little bleep sound when it starts charging solves 99% of the original niggle for me though. I know that it is charging, and I know roughly when it'll be roughly fully charged, and that's fine :)

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011

All you have to do is open the screen and see the percentage if its not fully charges. You cn also see the zig-zag electric bolt in the battery icon to know its charging, and when you plug it in you hear the beep. what's all the whining about? niggling? wow! Plus it charges very fast, from empty to full in a few hours. what do you do, wake up in the middle of the night to check the charge? what a bunch.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Your correct in the so called world of Apple design perfection (although very minor) it is no less an omission in thoughtfulness

Considering most charged appliances have a visual indicator I can think of many scenarios where this addition is just practical and simple compared to opening and closing the lid each time.

Considering the cost of the Apple multi dongle/port it's even more reason it should of been included

Reactions: lite426

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
A charging LED indicator would have been good. Somehow I feel Apple was trying to be more "unproprietary" this time around though, by going with a standard USB-C cable. This is in contrast to the MagSafe connectors which are very much proprietary....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.