My UMBP Is Doing Lots Of This! (Scrambled Screen)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bazzy, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi All,

I have a June 2010 17" 2.8 UBMP. It regularly has instances where by information on the screen regularly gets "garbled" &then freezes - it either just garbles the entire screen or a Column right down the screen. This garbled column then will appear across all other tabs, apps & even on the desktop. The only way to get rid of this garbling is either to close down the web browser which only sometimes works but more often a restart is required. Just for further information, this screen garbling also occurs for a few seconds when some web pages are loading.

Can anyone tell me what is going on & if it is a software or hardware error? Is there something I can do (novice level) to fix this? Please refer to the pics attached!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bazzy!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Maybe a problem with the graphics card, it's still under warranty right? I'd take it in to the genius bar.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm going to second the video hardware problem. Do you have an external monitor around as well?

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I used to have this big time on my old MBP, but it never left safari...
    I'm curious too.

oh and please clean your screen :D

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I know it's only from looking at two pictures, but that doesn't look like a software problem to me.

6. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

Only 3 months in...take it in and let them check it out.
    Since youre having one problem, id think about applecare if you plan on keeping it longer than the one year.

7. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I had the same exact issue with my 2009 13" MBP. The video card was failing. I took it to my local Apple store and they replaced the whole logicboard.

8. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi All,

I am very sorry about the dirty screen - I "normally" keep it clean if you could possibly believe me now!

Believe it or not, this was a brand new Replacement from Apple for a June 2009 UMBP that had no end of problems! This is my third Apple replacement over the years so it looks like I am singled out by the powers that hand out curses as to who gets the very few problem Apple computers! Looks like I will be having to call Apple for an appointment then? Sadly I do not have another monitor at hand. I only really use my UMBP for the internet, email & some very basic apps so i is hardly being taxed in any way!

Also, lately, my Pages, Numbers & Keynote apps will not load - I get a window saying that there was a problem & will report to Apple? Any idea why this would happen? Another thing I have noticed is that Flash causes problems - I get a message saying Flash is has quit/not responding or it gets stuck & the heat & temps go right up - any ideas? All software updates are in place.

Bazzy!

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

11. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Take it with those pictures to Apple and it looks a lot like a GPU problem. Does it happen with Intel or nvidia GPU?

That is what use to happen when my Desktop GPUs got unhappy with the clock speeds I wanted them to run at. Since you can't overclock much in OSX it is probably a defective chip or a cooling problem. Either way it is a hardware prob that needs repair.

12. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi All,

Damn! I am having multiple major throat surgeries next week & be bed bound for around 4 weeks so I will not be able to take it Apple till afterwards but at least I now know there is something definitely wrong with the machine & it is not my fault!

Many Thanks!

Bazzy!