My unibody experience...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmdeegan, Dec 15, 2008.

1. jmdeegan macrumors member

Just early impressions...

1-I bought the new MBP to upgrade from my mid-07 MacBook, largely because of screen damage that I wanted to fix, but figured I'd rather put those several hundred dollars toward a newer machine. This call was further supported by a flaky firewire port.

2-However I was still on the fence about it-to the point that I purchased it and had it at home for over a week before unboxing it.

3-I was used to the smaller MB, and truth be told if FW remained in the MB line, I would have probably gone in that direction. The size of the MBP takes a little getting used to, for me. Though I think the width allows it to sit more comfortably on my lap.

4-The keyboard--I had read elsewhere that the new MBP keyboard was the same as the old MB keyboard layout, and I do not believe this is really true. Reason I say that is because I can type without errors on the MB keyboard, and there is adefinetly a period of adjustment for the new MBP keyboard. Either its the change of dimensions, or things are slightly more spread out....I found myself hitting the caps lock inadverdently instead of the A quite a bit, a problem I never had with the MB. Just looks like things are spaced just a bit more differently. Minor, but something I will pay attention to.

5-I am, I think, going to be glad I bought this (or, Ill be sending it back for a top of the line last rev MB if not). Reason being, that flaky firewire port---I went to use migration assistant, and for a while it was hanging thinking my old mac was restarting, when it was already at the TDM icon. So I wiggled the firewire connection and it helped, got things moving, and about halfway through the connection died because I moved it a hair. So either I have a bad cable (brand new, so I would be skeptical), or the FW port is really messed up (which, based on other recent experiences connecting external drives, I'd say it's option B). Which means to fix that, its a new logic board, and between that and the screen, I am at a low end MB at the very least.

I do photo editing (not professional) but looking at the screen.....its gorgeous. Yes, i do notice some reflections, but last night mostly it was the corners, and not too bad at that.

But, especially because of point #5, I am glad I opted for new rather than repair. Even if the logic board is otherwise fine, losing my FW port is huge.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congratulations!

As with #5, are you saying this about your new computer or the old?

3. jmdeegan thread starter macrumors member

I am going to give the MBP as long as I can to get used to the keyboard. Maybe its just me. I really got used to and liked the old MB keyboard, and so far it seems a little different.

I am assuming I will adjust....but if I don't I'd look to step back to the old rev, though new hardware (IE, a refurb or something).

The trackpad too also seems really different, seems to take me a little more to get the pointer around the screen, but I think a lot of that is adjusting to it being a larger surface--I know I saw myself with a spare finger resting on the trackpad a few times, so thats just an adjustment I need to make.

I do think this is mostly me getting used to it....I just am wary because the wife has a dell that I got for her, and the keyboard is just a bit different and it drives me nuts. she got used to it, but it took a while for her and if it was not cheap and used, it woulda gone back.

4. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

#3, I totally feel the same way. I had a 2006 MB 13", and had the 13" had firewire I would have probably gone that route, or at least heavily considered it. But the 15" definitely felt like a huge beast the first week that I had it.

#4, I'm pretty sure the spacing is the same, however I know what you are talking about. I think it is the feel of the keys as they have a different plastic/coating to them then the older Macbooks do. They feel softer and smoother, and for a couple of days it really threw my fingers off. I'm still a little sloppy as I often use either a wired or BT apple aluminum keyboard with it, so I'm often going from the old feel I'm used to to the new feel.

About the only thing on the keyboard that I find a negative though is that they removed the enter key to put another option key on there. I know they did that a revision or two ago, but still I got really used to using it.

5. jmdeegan thread starter macrumors member

nice to know it's not just me LOL

i think i will grow to like the extra screen real estate, but all the same should a FW port return to a 13 inch MB in the future (or some similar high-end port), I would likely go back. I think 13 is the sweet spot (so says the guy who has only used the MBP for like, a night....)

the coating could be it too...trackpad feels different too, im guessing thats just the glass. hoping i adjust

6. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

I was sold on the trackpad at first touch. I had used my Macbook so much that the trackpad had gone smooth and shiny. Smooth in that way that your finger sticks rather than slides. When I go back to that machine (I gave it to my wife) it pains me to use that trackpad again.

Theoretically the glass trackpad shouldn't wear down and thus in two years should feel just as great. Only time will tell how that actually works out though.

I have to say that the glass on the trackpad and the glass on the screen are two of my favorite features. I worked with some Xerox desktop LCDs a few years back with a glass panel over the LCD and absolutely loved them. It seems that no matter how much you try to avoid it, eventually someone will come along and stick a finger on your screen. With normal matte/glossy options I'm rather paranoid about scratching the screen or messing up the coatings. With the glass I'm much less nervous about it.

7. jmdeegan thread starter macrumors member

definetly like the glass, espcially the screen. the trackpad, i dont dislike, just takes a little getting used to the different responsiveness. i dont know if i need to tweak mine or not...i don't tend to tweak my PC/Mac input devices, so I am chalking it up thus far to a period of adjustment

8. ManWithhat macrumors regular

I need the 15 inches. Screen real-estate is so precious . . . :)