My University has screwed me over - NO ACCOMM. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kardashian, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

OK, I am super upset. As in crying and shaking -- and I never get upset.

I applied to go to the University of Birmingham back in July.

Over a month ago, they confirmed my place, and asked me to choose my accommodation -- which I did.

This was a month ago, I called them a week later and asked about accommodation, they said to wait a week. I did.

A week later, nothing. I call again.

They said they have a backlog of applications from June - and they will send everything out to me within 2 weeks.

Well, its been 2 and a half weeks, and still nothing.

I called them an hour ago, and some stupid assistant forgot to e-mail me 2 weeks ago to say all the uni-run halls had been filled.

So, during this time, had they sent the e-mail on time, I could have:

• Found a space with an external supplier of accommodation for students. ie: Unite.
    • Found a place at another university.

But, because they've taken so long, all external accommodation is either full, or too expensive. And, all other courses in major cities (London, Manc, Leeds etc) are all full.

Their suggestions?

1. Book into a hotel for 2/3 weeks as last year, 170 people dropped out/didn't turn up within the first 2 weeks.
    2. Commute 2.5 hours eitherway, everyday, to show I'm 'committed' so I get given the first room available.

They did this 2 years ago, and overbooked by 130 students. The university had to pay to put them all into a hotel, until rooms freed up for them all.

I've had such a nice gap year, I just want to go to university. I was so excited. My Freshers' tickets arrived this morning, which were £50, and are also non-refundable.

I just feel like there's nothing I can do. They don't even care. I've called them so many times. :(

2. Roobsa macrumors regular

What about private accomodation? Here in Bath there's a whole area filled with houses rented by students, mainly by second and third years but I know a fair few first years who had to go into private accomodation because of halls and off campus halls were booked out. Check for spare room ads on student notice boards (your student union may have an online one), local papers, Gumtree.com, contact local estate agents and ask if there are any areas where there is private housing with a high student population etc.

Good luck and I hope this won't ruin your university experience.

3. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I just saw a place at Unite. A Studio Apartment for £143 a week.

It went a few minutes before I called, so I'm on the waiting list.

If I find somewhere, I'll DIE of happiness!

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

That's not going to help much, now is it…

;)

Good luck with the search. :eek:

5. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

You're joking right? Thats almost the cost of my 1 bed flat now (a nice flat). I was hard pressed to pay more than £65 per week when I was at university.

It seems a bit late in the year to be applying for accommodation, I had mine sorted months and months before starting. Unfortunately, as you have found, this leaves you in a tight spot. However, a lot of people do drop out in the first few weeks. Our corridor in halls was almost empty by the third week, so try not to lose hope.

6. Roobsa macrumors regular

I stayed in a Unite building that was £89 a week I think. The most expensive I've heard of was a bit over £100 a week, so £149 is extremely pricey. Would have to be extremely nice for that amount.

7. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Unite have no spaces left :(

Well, here's hoping for something in the next week.

If not, back to Australia.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I didn't pay anywhere close to £149 pw living in London.

Surely Birmingham would be far cheaper than London.

9. Roobsa macrumors regular

Don't give up, still a little while before uni starts again, there's always hope. Just out of curiosity, what will you be studying?

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

C'mon, we don't want anyone to die ... especially of happiness in the UK.

They might bury the body in a lead coffin, trying to keep the body from infecting the rest of the population. :p