My Upcoming East Coast "Summer Trip"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dwa2011, May 3, 2013.

1. dwa2011 macrumors regular

dwa2011

So I have been on Macrumors for quite some time. I usually stay around the "apple accessory" sub-forums but wanted to post somewhere else! So here goes nothing!

This upcoming Memorial Day, me and two other 20 year olds are departing on the best Major League Baseball dream trip anyone from NW Atlanta can go on (IMHO). The trip is 21 days and we are going from:
    Marietta, GA to Durham,NC to Luarel, MD to Old Bridge, NJ to Plaistow, NH to Scranton, PA to London, ON, CAN to Chicago, IL to Canton, OH to Lexington, KY to Home.
    We will see every Major League Baseball team along the way (with a few Minor League games in there :D).

I love baseball just as much (if not more) than I do my Apple products. I've bought a few things for the trip but wanted to ask if you guys for your input. Local places to chill or eat. Sights to see. Anything you want to say about a trip you went on that you enjoyed! Any information is greatly appreciated. :)
    Thanks so much guys!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No best Major League Baseball dream trip can not have stops in NYC and Boston.

One of the best cheeseburgers I ever had was at some bar/restaurant in Marietta with outside seating. Located in the town square. They made a killer bloody mary too. :)

Sounds like a blast. Have a great time.

3. dwa2011 thread starter macrumors regular

dwa2011

I should have specified saying we were going to see the:
    Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles, Philadelphia Phillies, New York Yankees (vs the Red Sox), Boston Red Sox, New York Mets, Toronto Blue Jays, Detroit Tigers, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cleveland Indians, Pittsburgh Pirates, Cincinnati Reds.

----------

I go to town square a lot and can't even think about where you are talking about! Thanks for the encouragement!

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Dayton Dragons is a terrific stadium with a great atmosphere (Ohio). Worth a stop.

5. dwa2011 thread starter macrumors regular

dwa2011

Awesome! is it better than the Akron Aeros?
    Thats who I have looked into.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nice.

If you want some of the best Italian food ever, go to Parkside in Corona, about 2 miles from CitiField and then walk across the street for the best ices ever from the Lemon Ice King of Corona. Also recommend Shake Shack inside CitiField.

7. dwa2011 thread starter macrumors regular

dwa2011

Awesome! I will def put that on my list of things to check out! Thanks so much for the input! Do you have any personal favorites from these places? or are they known for anything? just curious!

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Have the veal. Best anywhere. Baked clams are really good too.

All the ices are amazing but I usually get vanilla chocolate chip, watermelon or cherry. Real fruit in the ices.

9. dwa2011 thread starter macrumors regular

dwa2011

AH! Great! Thanks so much! I am def going to check out everything. Thanks!

10. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

This may already be on the list, but at Fenway you need to try a Fenway Frank. They may be overpriced, but it's so good! :D

11. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I'm not 100% sure but I think they might be the same stadium. Same sponsor same designer same everything. Can't speak to Akron's atmosphere but Dragons is very family friendly and fun. With a decent few things to do around the ballpark. Also a very consistent near sellout on good weather days.

I might be mistaken about the stadiums..might be thinking Toledo.

12. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Check out the Cask 'n Flagon right outside Fenway. It's usually packed before and during the game so maybe after. It's just kind of a staple....probably just because it's so damn close to the park.

Also, get a slice of ricotta pie at Mike's Pastry in the North End, but not on a tummy full of beer:). Bova's Bakery is cool too and not quite as touristy.

13. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Sounds like an excellent trip. Camden Yards will be the best ballpark you see. I've been to Fenway and to the old Yankee stadium, but neither of them compare. I know history matters, but in terms of architecture and atmosphere, nothing beats Camden. This from a Nats fan...

Have a blast!!! :)

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

OP

Don't believe a word of this...lies...lies...lies!!!

Camden Yards is, I suppose, sort of OK. If you are a fan of mediocre ball parks. But if you want the real thing, the ball yard nonpareil, the zenith, the epitome of ball parks...then Fenway is the only one.

Incredible history, amazing groundskeeping, incredibly expensive concessions, and of utmost importance...the Boston Red Sox!!

Take that...Camden yards!!

15. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

A left field wall does not a stadium make...:)

Really, I love Fenway. It's an awesome ballpark. Been a couple times. I was even there when a big fat chick stipped in left center and chucked all her clothes in the outfield. Good times. The bullpens in the stands too is really wild. You feel like you're really a part of the game.

There's something about Camden though from the moment you walk in. It feels like what a ballpark is supposed to feel like. The smell of Boog's BBQ. The view of the city. The seats make you feel like you're right on top of the action. The warehouse... It's early in it's life, but it's already set the standard for so many ballparks in the Majors and the Minors.

16. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Well, if you're going to be nice about this, it really kind of takes the wind out of my sails.:eek:

Camden is, like Fenway, a wonderful ball park filled with character, unlike the new cookie cutter parks. Fenway has the Green Monster, with it's now vestigial ladder still in place. Camden has that warehouse as part of the park. I really love the old parks with real character and quirks.

FENWAY IS MUCH BETTER!!

17. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Although no longer much of a fan (drug scandals, multiple strikes, anti-trust exemption - it got to be too much), I'll note Milwaukee is only 90 quick minutes north of Chicago with easy parking and direct freeway access.

I was able to get to Fenway before the prices went nuts, it was so good, I don't remember much of it!

18. dwa2011 thread starter macrumors regular

dwa2011

Yes, I am planning to tour Fenway as well, I have to see that view from the "Green Monsta" But I will def have on! Thanks!

----------

This was my least favorite part of my trip... b/c The Brewers are away the entire two weeks when I am over there. I really wanted to go see the awesome slide and I EVEN HAD A PLACE TO STAY UP THERE! But it just didn't work out.

-_-

Oh well. Thanks for the suggestion!

----------

(As a die hard Braves fan, I'm going to ignore the last sentence of that paragraph... jk :D)
    Camden is def at the top of the list of parks to see. ESP with the new "throwback" O's everywhere, its going to be awesome seeing it.

I am expecting to like PNC Park (Pitts Pirates) and Camden Yards equal honestly.

----------

I am expecting to like Fenway the most. Though I have always been a hater of "Bandwagon fans," My girlfriend for many years has won me over as her dad was born in Boston. So as a new found Boston Red Sox fan, I have heard that the atmosphere is just different there. So I can not wait to see and hear everything! Thanks so much for your input! haha

----------

I will def make sure to check out those place! I need to make sure I save up for food! It sounds like thats what I am going to spend most of my money on!! :eek:

19. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Obviously, the intent of the trip to see games, but I'll point out there is at least one restaurant in the stadium that's open on non-game days. Just sayin'...

20. dwa2011 thread starter macrumors regular

dwa2011

That actually a great idea! I did not even think about that! Considering that it is easy to get to off the interstate, my friends and I might want to go up and eat there to see the field, I know I would!

Awesome idea! thanks!

21. dwa2011 thread starter macrumors regular

dwa2011

Read along with the trip here if you're interested. Not trying to boost views, its my friend website who I am with

www.seecooneybaseball.com

22. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

23. sigamy macrumors 65816

Great trip. You are a very lucky young man.

I'm glad you made it to PNC Park. I hope you were on the 3rd base side for the great view of Pittsburgh.

Let's Go Bucs!

24. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

Baltimore has great local bars and pubs. Check out Canton if you have a chance, it's a nice little neighborhood with some gems in places to eat/drink. Make sure to grab some Shake Shack at the stadium when you watch the Nationals in D.C.