My upgrade came in, feeling conflicted

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lilcosco08, May 2, 2011.

?

Verizon iPhone options

1. Buy current Verizon iP4

23 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. Wait until WWDC for any surprise announcements, risk losing unlimited data

22 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. Wait out until fall (If nothing at WWDC)

33 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

See poll

Dual core iP5 would be nice, not needed though

2. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

3. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I could use that unlimited data, hehe.

Oh well, I can limit myself :D

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure if they will take it away before the next iphone or not though.:)

5. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Hurry, buy now, enjoy it now.

No reason to wait for the unknown.

6. MRiOS, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011

MRiOS macrumors regular

you could always do what I did and buy a cheap off-contract phone that requires the data plan, then wait it out to see what the iPhone 5 adds to the table.
    I bought a Palm Pixi Plus for $60 off of Newegg, it got me the unlimited data plan, plus they threw in a complimentary 5GB tethering option as well since that was also included with the Pixi Plus, due to the mobile hotspot feature, when they actually still carried the phone. They couldn't answer for sure when I asked if the tethering would transfer if I upgraded down the line, but they assured me the unlimited data would. Also, by getting the off contract phone it left my previous upgrades (I've still got 2 accrued since I haven't used an upgrade in 4 years) intact for use on the iPhone 5, or other phone if I so choose.

7. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I was about to do that, but then I read somewhere that Verizon won't grandfather when you upgrade after they switch the plans

8. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Good things come to those patient enuff to wait. :apple:

9. iRach macrumors member

iRach

:d

10. MRiOS macrumors regular

I was assured by the Verizon rep who activated my phone and added the data, that if I were to upgrade to another 3G smartphone down the line that my unlimited data would be grandfathered, now when it comes to 4G LTE, no I don't get unlimited of that. The only part of my plan they weren't sure would get grandfathered if I upgraded is the 5GB tethering/hotspot allowance.

11. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

"For example, a customer purchases an iPhone 4 or a Droid X along with the $29.99 data plan," the representative explained. "This person's contract expires February 10, 2013, but they love their device so much they never come in and purchase another device. They continue to pay us monthly and we continue to bill them for the exact same services. We don't change their plan. Now let's say in 2014, they want a new phone and they come in and purchase a new phone, then they subscribe to whatever service is offered at that time and pay that price."

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20029461-266.html#ixzz1LXEHhhAJ

Now he could be talking about 4g, or 3g. Hopefully 4g

12. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Eh, decided on numero 3. Gonna use an unlocked palm Pixi I picked up off of newegg for 50 bucks in the meantime. Thanks for the input!

13. MRiOS macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pixi/1.1)

I read through that article you linked and i'm still not worried. If you've got an upgrade or you've extended your contract without activating a new phone then nothing changes on your plan. The loophole is that if you extend your contract without upgrading then you can still get a new phone during that extension subsidized. My brother bought an iphone 4 a few months ago and we're on the same contract. They sold it to him at the subsidized price even though our contract isn't up until Nov. So I figure even if they try to not let me grandfather I can simply extend my current contract and buy the iphone 5 a month later subsidized from them.

14. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

My friend has Verizon, his upgrade came in august of 2010, he waited around for the iPhone 4 to come to verizon, then ended up not getting it and wanted to wait for the next iPhone. Seven months later, with a broken phone, he got a Thunderbolt. Moral of the story: waiting around is pointless when you don't know what you're waiting for.

15. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Instant Gratification is the way to go bro...lol