Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donw35

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
Los Angeles
Mac Mini (2011) Installed but the machine hung at a white screen, I waited for 30 minutes and shut it off and on and booted into OS X 10.11

Resolved
MacBook Pro (2008), will not install, just end up in recover utility and goes back to Yosemite, more investigating on the problem tonight NVRAM Reset and installed normally

MacBook (2008), Have not tried yet

Mac Pro (2006), Have not tried yet but will

Power Mac (2003), installed Clover and all is working.

I will report back with resolutions that may help others.

Last edited:

Tomr182

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
Installed on a late '13 MBP 13"

Worked easily, took an hour to download and about 30mins to install. New features working nicely, particularly like the split screen, and full screen

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
Installed on rMBP no issues, on mac mini with no issue and wife's rMBP with no issues. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Good luck!

ceezy

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2011
Mid-2010 MBP

Downloaded and Installed it in a couple hours despite me trying my best to mess it up. Accidently turned my machine off instead of locking it at one stage....got it back up and running and it started downloading some older iphotos and iMovie updates I hadn't bothered with...finally discovered how I could cancel those and resume the El Cap download and finally got it going again. Then I had to leave our office before it had installed so kept my mac on during the drive home to keep it going, which it thankfully did. So, despite all my shenanigans it went pretty well. My Internet was also hit or miss last night when I finally did get it going, and was awful during the indexing. However, after a couple of hours of indexing, it started working really well for me. Can't wait to get into it more later. Surprised it worked so well for me on my older mac. Seems pretty great, although it is very early on.

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
Installed on a late '13 MBP 13"

Worked easily, took an hour to download and about 30mins to install. New features working nicely, particularly like the split screen, and full screen

Clean install or normal? What's your first impressions on battery? I have the same MB you have.

Tomr182

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
Clean install or normal? What's your first impressions on battery? I have the same MB you have.

battery seems better, just normal install, was daring/stupid for the first time ever and trusted it would work and didn't back up. faith justified as not a single issue with anything thus far

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
After download and before install made an Installer USB stick using Terminal command. I installed from the stick and no issues on my 2010 Mac Pro. Not yet installed on my MBA.

Lou

niewiesznic

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Internet
MacBook Pro 5.1 (256 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM):
1. Freeze on startup screen.
2. After several hours and powerups MBP went into restart loop.
3. Either 1. or 2. are happening randomly.
4. Whenever I am able to login (once per 7-20 starts) I cannot switch to dedicated graphics card (9600M GT) which brings black screen after message that logging off is needed. Then system hangs.

I can't say anything about new OS, because it is simply not working. :(

I am moving back to 10.10, which is working UNLIKE EL CAPITAN. :(

donw35

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
Los Angeles
MacBook Pro 5.1 (256 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM):
1. Freeze on startup screen.
2. After several hours and powerups MBP went into restart loop.
3. Either 1. or 2. are happening randomly.
4. Whenever I am able to login (once per 7-20 starts) I cannot switch to dedicated graphics card (9600M GT) which brings black screen after message that logging off is needed. Then system hangs.

I can't say anything about new OS, because it is simply not working. :(

I am moving back to 10.10, which is working UNLIKE EL CAPITAN. :(

have you performed the NVRam reset ?

niewiesznic

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Internet
I have done PRAM reset and SMC reset.

No change.

I have tried El Capitan reinstall from USB disk.

No change.

Tomorrow, I clean my disk and install Yosemite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.