My upgrades have all arrived, which order to do this in?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fingleburt, May 28, 2012.

1. fingleburt macrumors member

Righto,

All my upgrades have arrived, SSD(Cruical M4 128GB), SuperDrive HD Caddy replacement(Cheapy Amazon BrainyDeal)& 1TB external USB HDD(Hitachi XL 1000). My plan is to install the stock 320GB HDD in place of the SuperDrive in the Caddy, SSD will be my main OSX/App boot drive and will install where the stock HDD was installed. Now, I've setup Time Machine to do a complete backup of my system, the problem is the backup is 201.17GB in size which obviously isnt going to fit on my 128GB SSD. Not only that, but it looks like I am going to have roughly 780GB's going to waste as I partitioned it with TM. Can I double partition it say with one partition dedicated to Mac and one partition dedicated to PC with an equal size?

I know I am going about this all wrong and the right answer is to just suck it up and do a clean OSX Lion install on the SSD. I just can't face it though, I've got my system setup just the way I like it! Is there anyway I can specify through my TM backup to just install the OSX and Apps to my SSD and my Photo's/Media to the stock stock HDD in the SuperDrive bay? Also for future reference would TM be able to backup from both my SSD and media HDD?

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I'm not good with SSDs, but I know in migration assistant (in system utilities), you can specify to restore from a time machine backup, and only restore users/apps.

3. Jkadans macrumors newbie

1. Put new ssd external case
    2. direct osx install to new SSD drive
    3. After install boot up with ssd drive hold option key at boot up or swap ssd with HD at this time
    4. Use migration assistant to transfer documents and or programs from original hard drive
    (time machine takes forever)

If you have a osx cd then just boot from cd and direct install to new ssd drive.
    Option on restart go through migration assistant
    Using migration you will not have to re-enter serials for programs already I stalled.
    I have a ssd boot drive but find the small boot drive limiting but super fast startups are great

4. fingleburt thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

I don't have an external enclosure for the SSD, just the internal caddy for the SuperDrive bay.

5. satchow macrumors 6502

Step 1: Don't use Comic Sans
    Step 2: Time Machine lets you pick and choose what you want to restore onto the destination drive