My UPS Stinks

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dimme, Jun 14, 2008.

1. dimme macrumors 65816

I have a APC back-ups XS1300 hooked up to my macpro early 2008. It is in the spare bedroom. I keep the door shut when I am at wook to keep out pet dust and dander( dog and 3 birds). When I go into the room in the evening I notice a smell of ozone. The only thing it could be is the UPS. It is plugged in but switched off. Anyone else have this problem?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

When there's microscopic flaws in a circuit, the oxygen molecules can get stripped apart and individual oxygen atoms can rebond with other molecules, going from O2 to O3. That's ozone (or trioxygen).

A noticeable ozone smell in a closed room is not entirely abnormal, but that's hard to gauge without knowing how strong the odor is, how much airflow is present, etc. I've installed APC's from desktop to 18U rack sizes, and some of them have "the aroma," and others didn't. I'd call APC's Customer Support line and report it.

3. dchao macrumors 6502a

It's just the smell of new insulation on the copper transformer windings. It will gradually go away.

4. dimme thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the answer, I have had the UPS for almot 2 years and it was just recently I started closing the door.

5. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Well if you've had the UPS for two years and it has been on, the smell from that insulation should have dissipated long ago I would think.

6. dchao macrumors 6502a

I think it depends on how the UPS was used prior to Mac Pro, if it was only used for a Mac mini or a laptop, then the windings will never get very hot, and because the Mac Pro draws more current, it's likely OP will see another new UPS breaking period.

Of course, it doesn't mean the UPS is not overheated.

Do you know the power rating on this UPS?

Have you tried the wake from sleep surge test to make sure the UPS can stand the surge current?

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Of course the battery may be close to needing replacement also, the APC UPS may run hotter (aka, run more) the more the battery decreases until the battery finally trips the light.

8. dimme thread starter macrumors 65816

I uesd the UPS before with a G5
    The UPS is rated at 1300 whatts and I am using about 300.
    And know problem with the wake from sleep.

9. dimme thread starter macrumors 65816

I the evening when I come home and notice the smell everything is off but the UPS is pluged into the wall. Do you still think it could be the battery.
    I am waiting a answer from APC the first response is this is not normal. I will post back when I have a answer from them. Thanks for w=everyones input.

10. operator207 macrumors 6502

Sleep or powered down?

Assuming powered down, that means that nothing should be drawing current through your UPS. Does your UPS have any monitoring software? Maybe your over volting on your mains. And it just started recently.