my usb disappeared after installing iLife 09!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by RazorWriter, Jan 29, 2009.

1. RazorWriter macrumors member

RazorWriter

Weird problem here and I don't know what to do besides take it in to the Apple store / surrender my mac pro.

So I was installing iLife 09 and right around the end of the installation, the finder quit/froze (menubar disappeared) and nothing I could do would restart it, or quit any of the other applications. The installation finished and I hit the restart button which didn't really do anything since that seems to rely on the Finder working to restart. So I had to hard-restart with the power button. On restart, I got the login screen but neither my bluetooth keyboard or the mouse or the wacom tablet are being recognized. I'm able to get in using screen sharing from another mac, and in the System Profiler there is absolutely nothing listed in the sections for USB and Bluetooth!

Did my USB subsystem just get fried somehow? Would restoring from a recent Time Machine backup help any? I'm not even sure how to do that. What should I do for my data assuming I have to take it in / call Apple?

Running the latest version of Leopard... latest everything... Mac Pro is the early 2008 version.

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I had exactly the same problem when I installed the nvidia graphics 2009 update on my mac pro this week. No USB devices loaded on startup.

In the end I did a complete backup then booted from the OS X Install DVD (or leopard DVD) and did an archive install and then applied all the updates via software update. This fixed the problem and I lost no data. I know for certain that it was the update because i applied it on the backup, booted from it and the same thing happened. Apple have since pulled the update. I just wonder if the graphics update was part of the iLife 09 install.

3. bigbird macrumors 6502

Mac Pro? NVidia graphics update? You must mean MacBook Pro, not Mac Pro.

4. h.21 macrumors member

The graphics update also affected the GeForce 7300 GT which was the default card in the 1st rev of the Mac Pro. Keep up. :)

5. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Thanks you beat me too it. I have a 7300GT and 8800GT in my MAC PRO.

6. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

I'm not at my Mac right now, so this is just from memory.

Make sure that your USB device is plugged in and turned on. Go up to the Apple in the left hand corner, and select 'About this Mac'. Click 'More Info' after the small window comes up, and scroll down to the USB devices section. Is your device there? Do other devices show up?

Also try with the USB ports on the back. I know sometimes the two front ports on my MP have this issue where they won't run two devices at once (iPod touch and USB headset), but it seems to be temporary.

7. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

The problem he has is that without USB he cannot use the mouse or keyboard (not sure about bluetooth although it could be enabled via a USB connection). I had the same problem. The only way to get the information you require is to connect via screen sharing from another computer, assuming that its turned on. It seems to me that during one of the recent updates the USB drivers/extensions got corrupted somehow.

A good way to test that its the existing OSX installation that is the problem is to boot from the OS Install DVD. If the keyboard and mouse work ok then its fair to assume that the problem is the OS itself. I found this to be true.

8. RazorWriter thread starter macrumors member

RazorWriter

Thanks for the reply, Chas. Yes, it does recognize the USB mouse when restarted from the OS install disk.

I'm now archiving and installing and not looking forward to at least a whole day shot.

9. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

At least USB is working, I suppose that is a good thing. The archive install it relatively quick really, the slow bit is having to run software update a few times to get all the updates applied. Remember to check the System log in the console.app after the install just to make sure you don't have to reinstall any apps. You can tell the ones that may need reinstalling then their processes fail e.g.

Jan 30 13:19:43 MACPRO com.apple.launchd[1] (at.obdev.littlesnitchd[4875]): Exited with exit code: 1
    Jan 30 13:19:43 MACPRO com.apple.launchd[1] (at.obdev.littlesnitchd): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

These messages are repeated relatively frequently. I only had 2 apps that needed to be reinstalled.

Good Luck.

10. Agile.Eye macrumors newbie

I find after the recent ilife 9.01 update seems to have led Finder into becoming quite unstable. Safari 4 seems to have un-benefited from it too.
    Lots of spinning beachballs when I mouse over the menu bar.

When I try to quit or relaunch Finder it just hangs, and the only way to get it going again is to restart via the power button.

The other day, for the first time ever in the year I've had my Macbook Pro, I had to restart by removing the battery...
    WTF?

I'm a switcher, and I so don't want to go back to the days of Windon't...

Where can I send a bug report to or from?
    :confused:

11. nemodomi macrumors member

nemodomi

(1) TO
    (2) FROM