My Verizon Store is discontinuing SE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macgeek18, May 19, 2017.

1. macgeek18, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I went to get my SE last night and found there was no displays for the SE. I asked for one and they only had two colors and 32GB and I was told they are going to stop carrying them since they are end of life. I replaced my BlackBerry Priv with the SE since Verizon dropped support of the Priv pretty early on. Really enjoying the SE now.

2. TheBrokenBee macrumors regular

TheBrokenBee

They must be just saying it for the heck of it. There is absolutely no way SE is reach EOL. Thats pretty much saying 6S has bit the dust with it too.

3. an-other macrumors regular

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Carrier stores tend to carry somewhat late model devices.
    They have the 6S and the iphone 7 available for sale.
    The iPhone SE is older than that and with the iphone 8 getting announced down the road they're looking to clear up some inventory probably.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I don't think the EOL means exactly what you are implying. The carrier is probably thinking that its going to be updated in the near future, so they are selling up remaining stock and are not going to order more, to keep inventory clear for the SE2 or iPhone 8.

iPhone SE will continue to be supported, but doesn't mean its going to remain available for purchase.

6. TheBrokenBee macrumors regular

TheBrokenBee

SE was released after 6S.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yes, but the components are older. 1st Gen Touch ID, 1.2MP front camera. Its not a top of the line device, so Verizon might not think its worth wasting inventory on. Simple as that really.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True but is more a cheaper level alternative to the 6S model.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Could have simply been that that particular store wasn't really selling SE that much so they aren't really getting much stick for it in. Or just something that the particular representative either heard or thought. Doesn't really mean much one way or another on its own essentially.

10. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

While I was there at least 5 people ahead of me asked the for SE and were told the model they wanted was out of stock and they could not order more. All these people had iPhone 5/5S in their hands. Most left without even looking at the 6S/7 line. So I know it's not because of lack of demand. I wanted a Silver 128GB and ended up with a Space Gray 32GB.

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

It is interesting to see Verizon not currently having available stock. And the SE was just updated not that long ago. Bottom line is it's still supported and for sale widely through Apple. But it's less convenient that your carrier would not have the model you were seeking.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Potentially it could also be that that store (or Verizon overall) don't want to push SE as much for whatever reason and want to concentrate on pushing some of the more "flagship" phones instead.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5 people all at once at the location you went wanted to purchase an iphone SE and they all were holding either iphone 5 or 5S models. And they didn't want to look at the 6S or new iphone 7 and left without getting anything.
    If you say so....
    Again the demand of 1 location or what you think its the demand for a certain model doesn't mean it matches the demand and actual sales throughout the whole company nationwide.
    Great story though.

14. JPack macrumors 65816

JPack

Probably a regional decision due to lack of demand.

If you're in a region where median household income is high, chances are customers will go for a 7 instead of an SE.

15. bradbomb macrumors regular

Verizon's website still shows the iPhone SE in all colors and sizes as available. If they were dropping it, that would be the place it wouldn't be listed.

16. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Not a story just facts. I was there for two hours waiting my turn. There was 10 people ahead of me. There are a lot of poorer people in my area. I can see why they want the cheaper phone.
    --- Post Merged, May 19, 2017 ---
    I don't know why my area store is not ordering more. Maybe they are just trying to push the 6S/7 models. They kept trying to upsell me to a 6S. I had a 6S and got a Pixel in it's place. Then upgraded my Blackberry to a SE for the size and eco-system.

17. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Just because your store doesn't have something in stock or claims to not be carrying it anymore (sales reps like to bull **** anyway when they don't know why something is), doesn't mean Verizon as a whole will stop selling the SE (which it won't - they just had a Mother's Day sale for it). The title is a little misleading.

18. pika2000 macrumors 68030

We know how "accurate" most carrier sales people are.
    It could be that they checked the "old" lower storage SE, which is correct since Apple discontinued those. As for the current SE, Apple site has them in stock.

19. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I fixed it. I apologize for any confusion.

20. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I was thinking the same thing since the SE is cheaper than both the 6s and 7 models. Kind of sucks though if a customer really has their mind set on the SE (although if there is an Apple Store in the area, said customer can simply just go to Apple).

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or they can order online from Verizon. They still have it listed for sale on their online store.

22. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Let's think about this for just a minute. One Verizon store doesn't have stock or isn't getting more stock and all of a sudden it's be cause it at EOL??

Huh? The phone was released in April 2016 this is may 2017. I've seen iPhones get discontinued after a year (see iPhone 5 and 5c) but I dont think the SE will be one of them ...

23. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I also don't see apple discontinuing the SE. Mainly because the SE was revived because they wanted to retain the demographic who wanted the smaller iPhone form factor at an affordable price. It was smart for Apple to do this, which allows that demographic to stay in Apple's ecosystem, Which still has a 4 inch smart phone available on the market, where other manufacturers have graduated to much larger displays and away from smaller ones.

24. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Then Verizon is sacrificing its customer's wishes in lieu of their perceived bottom line.

Shocking, I know. :rolleyes:

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What?
    Who that? Verizon?
    No way :D