My "very old" iPad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iHenry, Oct 23, 2012.

1. iHenry, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

iHenry macrumors member

iHenry

I bought my first and only iPad in November 2011, accordingly, it was "current" only for 5 months. Two newer models (3 if you take the new mini into account) have hit the market after mine did and, you know what? I am still very happy with my old iPad2.
    It is the best portable computer I ever had, great for reading the news, newspapers, writing on forums like this one and work and study on plenty of Work- related Documents.
    I don't understand the anger today of those willing to have the latest gadget available for no reason other than for the sake of it, but they are righfully entitled to do so, that was never my intention knowing that the computer and the business worlds don't work that way. But I think they should take into account that their iPad3's will still last and work for a long time, moreover given that today Apple also launched an A5 -based model (in 2012!) and decided to keep another "very old" A5 like the iPad2 on the market, apparently the longest survivor in the saga so far.
    I am writing this on my non-retina-non-Siri-VGA-camera iPad2, I am still in love with the experience and am sure I would still be for a long time.

2. Munnichs macrumors member

3. m1kygarcia macrumors member

I don´t know if you have been using Apple Products some years ago, but once upon a time, Apple would not dissect the features just for fun, and you would still feel like your investment is not that outdated with in months.

Siri not on iPad 2 are you kidding me?, what possible excuse they can give us to not have that feature.

Apple used to give us all the features in their updates even if the hardware could not handle it.

it´s the word choice that is not anymore in recent Apple history, you don´t get to choose if you want to use the feature or not.

4. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

I love my iPad 2 - it is fast and the screen looks great - it has the A5 and should receive IOS updates for a few years to come.

Now about Apple making my May 2011 iMac 21.5" obsolete....

I dunno, I use my optical disc - and the SD slot on the back is kinda weird...

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

My first gen iPad was shut out of iOS 6, so I suspect that is the EoL for major (integer) updates for your iPad 2.

6. iHenry thread starter macrumors member

iHenry

And for the iPad 4 that was launched today too, in iOS ??, just give it a couple years.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

No, I think this iPad was like 3.4 and now it is 5.1.1, so usually two major OS updates to EoL (iOS 8 for the latest models), though probably all the subsequent minors. If only they would stop trying to trump the JBers at every turn, or at least offer a "pro" access option.

8. iHenry thread starter macrumors member

iHenry

Just look at iPhones, particularly iPhone4 vs latest updates.

9. JB26 macrumors newbie

I have iPad 2 (32GB 3G) and have not seen a single thing yet to make me want to upgrade. I'm not overly fussed about retina and a better camera, and here in the UK I have a very broad northern accent so Siri is practically useless anyway. I have retina in my iPhone 5, and genuinely there has been nothing to tempt me to a new iPad. I work for a mobile phone company over here and we sell iPads on contract, the 2 has been far more popular for a long time.

10. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

I have a 1st generation iPad and I haven't seen anything that makes me think I really need an upgrade. It works just fine for my needs.

11. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Bit like Windows XP was in the PC market.

The Ipad 2 is perfectly priced and does the same job as the better newer models.

12. iHenry thread starter macrumors member

iHenry

Agreed!