My VISA was used to buy stuff from Apple

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sendas, Apr 14, 2017.

1. sendas macrumors newbie

sendas

Hi

Someone used my visa to pay for 5400€ in apple products.

Will apple help by bank to find who did it ?

I'm not familiar with what kind of information apple can give to a bank (not the police)...

Anyone know about this?

Thanks

2. Zenithal macrumors 68020

Call your bank, dispute the charges. It's the bank's and VISAs job to investigate. Tell the CSA your card was compromised. Have them dispute the charges, cancel the card and issue you a new one.

3. sendas thread starter macrumors newbie

sendas

I've done that, and they are doing that. I also went to the police. I don't know what CSA is. I'm from Portugal, Europe.

I'm just curious about what is apple going to do to help the bank and me. Aren't there guidelines ?

4. willmtaylor macrumors 604

willmtaylor

You don't need any help. You don't do anything. The issuer of the card will cancel the charges and you'll get a new card. End of story.

5. sendas thread starter macrumors newbie

sendas

Ok I think I haven't explained myself very well

I would like to know the procedures apple uses to solve this, and help the bank. I've read they don't give almost no info because of privacy policy's and stuff like that

6. willmtaylor macrumors 604

willmtaylor

I understand, but you don't need to do anything. It doesn't really matter to you. Apple and the bank will take care of it.

7. sendas thread starter macrumors newbie

sendas

It matters because I want to know ! That was the intent of this post ...??

8. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Visa will have a trail of where the card was used. There's no way you will get access to any of that information. Apple might have video footage, and might have the serial numbers come up on their network, but there's no way you'd get that, either.

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Sounds like a new TV show: CSI, Apple. Each week or fearless investigators track down thefts occurring only from Apple stores.

10. Roller macrumors 68020

It's true that the cardholder will usually not be made aware of most of the information that comes to light during the course of a financial institution's investigation. Some data, such as the location where the card was used or what was fraudulently purchased will be evident from the transaction records that cardholders see online or on hardcopy statements. However, the OP should be happy to be shielded from the details and not have to bear the cost of the forensic investigation. Imagine how difficult it would be if he was personally responsible for doing all the work, hiring investigators, and so on. Of course, we consumers pay for this ultimately, but it's much easier this way.

11. sendas thread starter macrumors newbie

sendas

God ... I don't want to get anything !!!! I just want to know the process !!! (Video footage of an online transaction!? Ahaha )

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Apple is a large retailer and Visa is a large credit card company. Your situation isn't that special. My guess is Visa will replace your card, strike the charges from your bill, go to Apple to decide if a real investigation is warranted. Unless there has been a huge uptick in fraudulent transactions from the Apple Store, no real action will be taken.

13. sendas thread starter macrumors newbie

sendas

Sorry, what does it mean: a huge uptick ? (sorry not my native language)

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

A large increase.

If there is a large increase in the number of fraudulent charges from the Apple Store in question a bigger investigation might be warranted but the Apple Store and Visa will likely make this transaction an open and shut case.

15. Stefan johansson macrumors 6502

Stefan johansson

Obviously,your bank,visa and Apple will solve this internally,but,Apple has nothing to do with the process,it's the card provider that takes the economic loss if your card was compromised. All Apple will do,is to cash in their money,as a compromised credit card is a problem for the card provider and the bank,not the company that sold a product.

16. sendas thread starter macrumors newbie

sendas

Will they, at least, lock all the equipment that was bought ??

17. Stefan johansson macrumors 6502

Stefan johansson

Why would they do that? The whole issue is something for visa and the bank,Apple has nothing to do with the economic part of the transaction.

18. sendas thread starter macrumors newbie

sendas

Right, it makes sense ...

Well, I just want my money back ! They told me not to worry about ... let's see how it goes

19. Stefan johansson macrumors 6502

Stefan johansson

If their investigation show,that you're completely innocent,which is the usual case,you will get your money back. Hacked credit cards is not really unusual,they probably copied it when you where paying for something else,all it tales is a photograph of the card number and security code on the back.

20. sendas thread starter macrumors newbie

sendas

I wonder how they investigate and how accurate they can be ...

21. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

They might not even investigate unless there is absolutely clear evidence where they could catch the person. Sometimes it's not worth the time. VISA will take the loss, Apple will have almost nothing to do with it, to them it's just another transaction/sale. As everyone has said, VISA will reverse their charge to you and will issue a new card. Everyone moves on.

22. sendas thread starter macrumors newbie

sendas

So the guy goes free with more than 5000€ of apple products ...

23. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's theft and fraud for you. Again as mentioned, your situation is not an isolated incident. This happens everyday. This will probably be "noted" in some way, perhaps it's part of a larger scheme, but don't expect Apple or VISA to actually look for the person who committed the fraudulent act.

24. Zenithal macrumors 68020

They'll likely be disabled by Apple if they're phones and they'll be parted out. Parted out equipment rarely rakes in as much money as a complete unit. 5,000 Euros of gear, but likely less than 1,000 Euros of parts.

25. sendas thread starter macrumors newbie

sendas

From what I've heard apple only does that with a judicial order ...