My "Volume Down" button no longer works...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Diversion, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

This pains me; this thing was flawless until the volume down button just decided to stop working.. volume up works fine, though.

The LCD is perfect, no dead pixels, no light bleeds.. and now I have to gamble on an exchange.

Anyways, onto the real question.. I bought my iPad from Best Buy and it's outside of their 14 day policy or whatever they offer for standard customers... I bought the iPad on launch day, so even if they offered 30 days, still outside.

What are my options on getting my iPad replaced? Do I have to call Apple directly? I'm assuming I have to ship the iPad first to receive another?

2. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

3. Diversion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Yes, i've done a basic restore AND a DFU restore multiple times.. still no dice. The button moves fine and feels fine (just like the volume up) but it seems like perhaps the sensor that makes contact is broke or dead.

To back track, the problem was intermittent.. I could go a half-day where the volume button was working fine.. then later in the evening, stopped working all together. Now for days, it's not working at all.. I think it's done for.

4. MotherFinMike macrumors 6502

MotherFinMike

My Top button on my Ipad just recently stopped working.. I made a Appointment with the Apple walked in an they replaced it with a brand new Ipad

5. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

I'd try Best Buy first. If they won't help, call Apple, return it to them, and get a new one.

6. Shymcfly macrumors member

If your serious about it being perfect and not wanting to give it up and don't mind jail breaking sbsettings gives you an onscreen volume slider i prefer it to the rocker

7. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Why would anyone even consider keeping it? Not only does your resale value go down the drain but the usability is hampered too (change volume in a full screen game?).

Swap it in an Apple Store and check the one they give you. If it's not up to snuff then ask for another one. And another one. They're not coming from brand new sealed boxes anyways.

8. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

Take it to Apple. There's no excuse for this kind of sh*t with our $500 machines.

9. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Yeah take it back to Apple. That is BS. I just got my iPad the other day and now I'm worried about the buttons going bad. :(

10. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I think the wiring connectors inside are loose. You should send it to Apple for repair, don't think they'll charge you for it.

11. Diversion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I just hope I can find my Best Buy receipt! I'm not sure how Apple would just trade my iPad for one of their "replacement" units without seeing a receipt in my name I think.

12. Diversion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I called my local Apple store and they said I can make an appointment with them and there should be no problem getting it swapped out at the store even though I purchased it through Best Buy.

I'll keep everybody updated, I made an appointment this coming Thursday.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

No offense - sincerely. But why keep everyone updated? You had an issue with your iPad and you're getting it taken care of. Again - not to offend - but who else would care?

14. Diversion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Diversion

For anybody who's purchased an Apple from a non-Apple store might find it useful to know Apple honors replacements in-store even if not purchased from them? Normally i'm like you and ask myself "Why do people post useless info" but I actually find my post informative to people who don't normally buy products directly from Apple.

Ya dig?

15. samcraig macrumors P6

I dig. But as you said "I called my local Apple store and they said I can make an appointment with them and there should be no problem getting it swapped out at the store even though I purchased it through Best Buy."

That's pretty much the conclusion to the issue.

16. Diversion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Reps can say a lot of things on the phone and when it comes down to being there in, person a different thing happens. So instead of wasting your time trying to "school" people in forum etiquette by trolling.. Yes, you're trolling.. (And I see you doing this to other people's threads) it's better off to just hit your back-button on your browser instead of responding when you don't like mild redundancy, it's neither offensive or against the rules.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Clearly you're offended which wasn't the purpose. Nor am I trolling. I was genuinely interested in the subject of this thread. I was interested in how you would solve the issue or how it would be solved for you. That being said - I just didn't see why people would be further interested just to know that it did get fixed beyond your last post. But that's MY opinion. And I'm certainly entitled to it. Doesn't make me a troll.

18. Diversion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Trolling can be a lot of things. In one instance, posting something in a thread that has ZERO relevance to the topic at hand is a good one, which you have been doing this whole time.

You came in here to complain about me wanting to update people at a later date, well done.

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Just because you're not interested in a topic doesn't mean that everyone else shouldn't be either. The standard advice for this sort of thing is if you are not interesed in a topic then don't read the thread.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

You quoted my post but perhaps you didn't read it. I was interested in the topic.

21. Fissure macrumors 6502

To get back on topic......

I bought a 3G 64GB at Best Buy today. It has the same issue.
    Up volume always works, down volume worked for maybe 30 minutes and then stopped working altogether, kaput. I completely restored the iPad to no avail.
    About 5 hours later the down volume button is kinda working. It adjusts down sometimes, one click = one box volume down (as designed), but most of the time now I do one click down and it adjusts down 2 or more and sometimes all the way down on the volume. Also now I'll turn the volume up and the volume control window will disappear. I'll go about using the iPad and outta nowhere the volume window pops up and the volume goes all the way down. This is very weird and I'm thinking the button is defective.

I called Apple they said I could mail it back for repair/exchange. But I'm gonna return it to Best Buy for a full refund. They said if they had another in stock they'd exchange it but otherwise a full refund and I'll grab another from them at a later time. I don't want to return it to Apple as they'll ship me a refurb and I literally had this thing less than 1 hour before I noticed the problem.

22. Fissure macrumors 6502

23. Ksane macrumors regular

I wish Joe Blowhard would've just stayed out of this thread because I'd like to know if the OP did, indeed, get his replaced. Just because some guy at Apple said he could doesn't mean he did.

24. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Agreed. That guy is a fool. Part of a forum is sharing experiences. OP does not have to shut up after his first post.

I would have recommended going to the Genius Bar like the employee said. I took an iPod Touch which stopped working in and they just traded it right there for a new one. <3 Genius Bar