My Vx Corsa just blew up... (what hatchback to replace it?)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hob, Jul 28, 2008.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

OK, well it was last week. But I hadn't gotten round to posting about it till now!

I was laying in bed at 4am when I heard some shouting in the street, and my car was on fire.

It's been thoroughly checked out and it was down to...

...wait for it...

...an electrical fault!

[​IMG]

(more)

Annnnyyywaayyy.... that was fun.

But I've just realised I watch too much top gear. I know I'd love a Nissan GTR, but I'm about £50k short!

Any tips for a good hatchback around the £4k-£7k mark? I'd love a Golf but I don't think I can afford a good enough one :(

So I'm thinking Ford Fiesta.

Strangely enough iPod support is pretty much top of my list. Unfortunately the Fiesta purely has "MP3 compatability", which I think means an Aux In somewhere on the dash - not cool.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and if any of you have 54 plate corsa's (or anything near it) you mayyyy want to check if there are any pending recalls on it...!

2. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

You're very lucky not to have been in the car.

I dunno the state of European cars, but mp3 compatibility in US model Fords isn't too bad. I'm assuming you want dock connection though.

Happy car searching!

3. iGav macrumors G3

It's a shame Old Sparky there couldn't wait another couple of months until the New Fiesta is launched, because you'll be able to mug yourself a current '08 plate delivery mileage Fiesta from a Ford stealership. ;)

If you can somehow hold out... the new Ford Ka is due in early '09, though have you considered a SportKa?

How about a Suzuki Swift or a Mitsubishi Colt?

4. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Smart Coupes are decent cheap cars...

I now know never to get a Vauxhall!

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

For Christ's sake, just because one Vauxhall has caught fire, it doesn't mean every bloody one is going to bust into flames.

6. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Best not to risk it!

I wanna get a DeLorean anyway! :)

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You should stay away from Apple computers. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Your right! And iPods! :p

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Fiat Punto all the way baby.

They supply an iPod connector. Think it's about £70. Ask the dealer.

12. iGav macrumors G3

Indeed, Vauxhalls generally aren't that exciting. Heheh.

13. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Don't buy a SEAT! I got an Ibiza for about £7k, a diesel 1.9 130bhp..... great little car to drive and fuel consumption is awesome.

BUT the servicing and fault costs I've had in the last 3 years have made the fuel savings and cost of car saving look pointless!

For example: My speedo stopped working properly last week, it thinks zero is 80mph! It seems to work correctly from there, i.e. 130mph on my dash is 50. Took it in for fault finding and estimate, they said they couldn't find any specific thing wrong and the replace the whole instrument panel for £400 :eek:

Based on initial cost and servicing I have friends and family that recommend Toyota and Renault, I'm sure Renault do an iPod thing.

14. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

No comment... *runs away* :D

Back on topic: if you dont mind buying used, get a Toyota, they hardly ever brake down. New ones will probably be out of your price range... Decent ones, anyway.

15. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I bought a Nissan Versa early last year and love it.

Sorry about your car, dude.

16. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

haha. ol' sparky indeed. I'm pretty interested in a fiesta... maybe I should just rely on public transport till the end of the summer?

17. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

since you seem to want cheap you can get a civic "bubble" hatch pretty cheap, drop a b16a2 in it or a k20 in it and buy a pretty decent turbo kit with some bolt ons and you can run low 13's high 12's.:D

18. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Mazda 2's are nice and they are the car the new Fiesta is going to be based on.

Renault Clio's are nice
    New Corsa
    or even Citroen C2
    oooh what about the Peugeot 207? Lovely looking cars!

19. djellison macrumors 68020

We had a rental Corsa about 8 years ago. Pulled over to look at a map, and then the bonnet started smoking.

Went to look inside - and the wiring loom around the starter motor was actually on fire. Only the good fortune of a paser by (who, amazingly, had a damp tea-towel) - stopped the whole thing going up.

As for recommendations..

Clio, Fiesta, or (don't laugh) Skoda Fabia...it's the car the rental company gave us to replace the lunched Corsa - and it was fab.

VW Polo's not bad either. Had one in spain for a few weeks.

Doug

20. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Clarkson seemed to get a kick out of the Monaro and the VXR8. Strictly speaking, however, they are australian...

As much as I hate to admit it, the Fiesta seems to be an awesome little piece of kit. I can't speak from personal experience, but I've heard the Mazdas and the Fords seem to be really nice to live with.

21. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

See, I've seen about half a dozen stories like this - from all sorts of different model Corsa's... which is enough to put me off that particular line of cars for life!

And to everyone else, it's not that I realllly want a hatchback, it's just that I've just graduated, not found a job yet - and only have what insurance has paid out!

Which, I might say, is like trying to get blood out of a stone - but I guess you all already knew that!

22. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

+1

23. iGav macrumors G3

I think they're due on sale sometime around September/October time, though it'd be handy if you can find out a date before you visit a Ford dealer. ;)

Given the current economic climate, manufacturers are giving away new cars with hefty discounts as it is, but with a new model Fiesta due within the next few months, Ford dealers will be especially keen to flog their remaining current shape Fiesta's prior to the arrival of the new metal. ;)

If you moochy on in to a dealer in the last full month before the launch of the new Fiesta, you should be able to negotiate yourself a very fine discount indeed on one of their remaining stock... especially if you're willing to lay down your reddies on a petrol model (diesels are commanding better prices in the current climate).

You'll secure yourself a bargain without a doubt... the question is, will you be able to snare yourself an absolute brand new one. ;)

24. Chrismcfall Suspended

+1
    The same *could* be said about the Ibiza as well.