My Web Host Ate My Baby

justindouglas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Hi, this is my first time posting.

I'm currently with the worst web hosting company ever, gisol.com, and I need out.

The unimaginable amounts of down time and broken web mail and now the sudden utter destruction of my site (www.justindouglas.com) have finally pushed me too far.

Over the last few years I've built a basic but pretty decent site via their provided "site studio" (not great), which I use for business but need something more flexible. Can someone recommend a hosting company that fits the following requirements:

1. isn't evil
2. supports Mac OSX
3. fairly cheap (ie well under $20/mo)
4. has some sort of flexible, easy to use site builder capable of flash and loading MP3 audio
5. has support beyond "send us a letter and we'll get back to you with a smart ass response that doesn't actually address your problem.... and no, we don't own a phone"

I don't really know how to go about switching hosts or what I need to do with my domain name. If any good Samaritan cared to drop me an e-mail at justin@justindouglas.com (provided it's up..... sigh) with some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks all!

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Welcome to MacRumors justindouglas!

justindouglas said:
Hi, this is my first time posting.

I'm currently with the worst web hosting company ever, gisol.com, and I need out.

The unimaginable amounts of down time and broken web mail and now the sudden utter destruction of my site (www.justindouglas.com) have finally pushed me too far.

Over the last few years I've built a basic but pretty decent site via their provided "site studio" (not great), which I use for business but need something more flexible. Can someone recommend a hosting company that fits the following requirements:

1. isn't evil
2. supports Mac OSX
3. fairly cheap (ie well under $20/mo)
4. has some sort of flexible, easy to use site builder capable of flash and loading MP3 audio
5. has support beyond "send us a letter and we'll get back to you with a smart ass response that doesn't actually address your problem.... and no, we don't own a phone"

I don't really know how to go about switching hosts or what I need to do with my domain name. If any good Samaritan cared to drop me an e-mail at justin@justindouglas.com (provided it's up..... sigh) with some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks all!
I always recomend LunarPages. When you say supports OS X? Do you mean that you can upload files from a Mac running OS X? If so then yes. They are less than $20/month for the base plan at least. They have great support: email, phone, and forums: although I've never called them, which is a good thing I guess :D.

Not sure about the site builder though. I design sites w/ Dreamweaver and use it's built FTP thing to upload files to the server. I'm sure plent of others can recomend other hosts as well. You might also want to Google Web hosting reviews, thats how I found Lunarpages.

Good luck!

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
You might want to take a look at Hostway... they have a variety of plans for different types of users, and you should be able to get what you want for quite a bit less than $20/month. I've been using them for several years, and I recommend them.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I've had very a very good experience with Neureal.com. Used them for over two years now without any problems. You can host multiple domains on one account. Starts at $7.95/mo.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Its pretty simple to switch your domain name, provided that the original hosting company register your domain name under your name. Most hosting company allows you the option to transfer your domain name to your new account with them. Just contact those company and they would provide you a walk through. Before the small orange hosting company fanatics kick in, I would suggest you have a look at that company http://www.asmallorange.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.