Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonjamesm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Hey all -

would love to hear what everyone thinks about my website - It started off useing the Black Iweb template and then I modded it about -

I'd love to edit the header font - and possibly add some page transitions (fades... if anyone has any suggestions - or is that too 90's?)

perhaps even redesign into flash - but for now, this will do.

Anyway - let me know what you think?!

www.jjmcgregor.co.uk

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Why is everything an image? Even text..?

iWeb does that when you use a non-standard font or apply any text effects (like drop-shadow). iWeb doesn't allow you to specify alternate fonts like CSS does.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Hey all -

would love to hear what everyone thinks about my website - It started off useing the Black Iweb template and then I modded it about -

I'd love to edit the header font - and possibly add some page transitions (fades... if anyone has any suggestions - or is that too 90's?)

perhaps even redesign into flash - but for now, this will do.

Anyway - let me know what you think?!

www.jjmcgregor.co.uk

Please don't redesign into Flash. It's a great tool and certainly has its place, but creating a whole site in Flash is a bad idea.

jonjamesm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
yeah the text/image thing is annoying, but whattcha gonna do?! I've no idea about CSS.

And I'd only want to redesign it into flash if and when I expanded into a ltd company - at the moment its fine, How you all finding the load time?

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
yeah the text/image thing is annoying, but whattcha gonna do?! I've no idea about CSS.

And I'd only want to redesign it into flash if and when I expanded into a ltd company - at the moment its fine, How you all finding the load time?

I've actually never used iWeb (not seriously anyway) but it seems from their response is that all you need to do is change the text to a web standard (Times New Roman, Georgia, Arial, Helvetica, Tahoma, etc) and it will display as text. I'd highly, highly recommend it -- right now, unless people know who exactly who you are and navigate to your web site, they're not gonna be able to find you for their projects because 90% of your keywords are in that CV image, which Google doesn't know exists. It may not seem like a huge issue now, but you might as well take the CV off of it's not in a standard format (a PDF would work even).

In any case, it looks great and so does your work! Good job!

torndownunit

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
I've actually never used iWeb (not seriously anyway) but it seems from their response is that all you need to do is change the text to a web standard (Times New Roman, Georgia, Arial, Helvetica, Tahoma, etc) and it will display as text. I'd highly, highly recommend it -- right now, unless people know who exactly who you are and navigate to your web site, they're not gonna be able to find you for their projects because 90% of your keywords are in that CV image, which Google doesn't know exists. It may not seem like a huge issue now, but you might as well take the CV off of it's not in a standard format (a PDF would work even).

In any case, it looks great and so does your work! Good job!

Definitely one of the nicest iWeb projects I have seen. I am don't have the skills of some of the other people on here, but I agree about the font thing 100%.

jonjamesm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Thanks for all the compliments! Great feedback - I've since edited the font on the CV so it reads as text.

It was in arial before - but when you add a colour it changes it to an image.

Pretty musch finished it now!

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.