My websites look wrong in Mac

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by madmacman, Dec 21, 2007.

1. madmacman macrumors newbie

Hi all, I've just got my 1st Mac, last night, and wasn't surprised to see my site looked wrong on text resize. I haven't a clue about hacks or Macs. My homesite is
    http://www.zealmonline.co.uk The WC3 said CSS validated and the HTML as 4001 transitional. I'd be so grateful for advice. I don't know where to start.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. madmacman thread starter macrumors newbie

Last night I installed Firefox and Camino; Safari was already installed. It's a Macbook laptop and 2ndhand. Thanks for replying already.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Great, I have to get IE6 working in OS X again.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Looks OK in Safari on Mac.

Does not look too good in Firefox in windows.

Part of the job of designing a web site is to ensure it is not messed up in different browsers and OS.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Nothing "looks" wrong. Can you elaborate on what's different to you?

As a note, valid code does not mean it accomplishes what you wanted it to, it just means the code is structurally sound. Valid HTML and CSS can still look horrible, but still a good goal to have validation of course.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I tried Safari, FireFox, and Internet Explorer 6.0.

It looks fine in OS X and in Windo...err Darwine.

10. madmacman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for replies. Don't really understand. Should I be using strict doctype? If so, I'll try to find out how it differs from transitional.

11. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

“my site looked wrong on text resize”

What exactly looks wrong?

It looks fine to me.

12. madmacman thread starter macrumors newbie

Ellpa, the nav thingy on the left overlaps instead of wrapping. Hope I've described it properly. BTW When I've looked at other people coding on Macs they seem to have voice-family-inherit stuff and I don't know what it means.

13. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I tried it on Firefox and IE7 on Windows and there's no overlap. The voice-family stuff is likely there as a hack of sorts. Take a read on Eric Meyers' site for a more detailed explanation of the voice-family.

14. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Voice family inherit is hack to target internet explorer.

The better way to handle IE is to use conditional comments.

Code:
    #leftnav ul { list-style-type:none;  margin:0; padding:0;line-height:1px;}
    The other browsers you tested on must "handle" text resizing by ignoring the fact the line height is set to 1 pixel.

WebKit (Safari) respects this setting, so when the text in the navigation list wraps to a new line it calculates (because you told it to!) 1px as the height for the previous line (the actual line height is obviously quite a lot taller than 1px) – hence the overlap.

Of course this all makes for perfectly valid CSS, as there is nothing invalid pre se about specifying a line height of one pixel. It is just not very sensible.

By the way, Webkit is one of the a leading browsers for standards support, so if a page doesn't look right in Safari, you've generally done something wrong, not the browser.

Attached Files:

15. madmacman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, elppe (sorry for spelling your name wrongly before). I'll read EM's piece. BTW I have no recollection ever of putting line-height at 1px. Checking it out now.

16. madmacman thread starter macrumors newbie

Elppa, can't thank you enough for poring over my code enough to spot what was wrong. Owe you a drink, several drinks. Doesn't overlap now. I've looked in FF, O and IE 7, 6, 5.5 in W, and Safari on Mac. Thank you mega.