My wheels are turning. . .

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zord, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Zord macrumors 6502

Zord

So after seeing the new Macbook Air today i'm seriously thinking of selling my iPad and getting one of the 11.6" models.

Am I Crazy??

I'm definitely on the fence about this. . anyone else thinking thought about it?

I'm trying to think of the pros and cons of keeping the iPad. . . It's a tough decision really.

What do ya'll think? Chime in.

2. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

I like the MacBook Air, don't get me wrong. In fact, I love the 11.6 inch. But I still wouldn't trade my iPad for it. I'm not a huge fan of the 11.6 inch 1.4ghz core 2 duo, and to get the 1.6ghz for the 11.6", you need to pay $ for the 128GB and also, $100. So it come out to $1299 and $100 for another 2GB of RAM, you are up to $1399.

The iPad and the MacBook Air have two different user groups. seeing as I have a MacBook Pro 13" 2009 there really is no reason to get the Air for me. But I do love the design.

4. Handbags088 macrumors newbie

You can buy one here for R50. Otherwise just get an international adapter at the airport or something.

5. 1appleAday macrumors regular

+1. I love reading books on my iPad, while MacBook Air is certainly better for typing or other content creation. They serve different purposes. Recently I went to a trip and I was debating b/w iPad or my 1st gen Air. I picked iPad and I'm glad I did. But if I'm a road warrior who needs to get work done during my trip, then no doubt Air will be more suitable.

6. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Both. Use both. I have hit the bossman up for a replacement for my company Tosuckba laptop. I'll play with them in the Apple store, pull out his credit card and get one.

Now can I get him to reimburse me for my iPad ? :)

Why can't I have better Excel compatibility on my iPad ?

7. bwphoto macrumors member

In the same boat. JUST bought the iPad too, a couple days past my official return date. I have a coworker that is willing to buy it off me for price paid... I'd also sell my 17" MBP and replace it w/ a mini or something... Maybe... Just have to see the new Air - I think holding it will make up my mind.

8. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I'd wait until the first MBA user reports come in. One of the things I like about my iPad over my MBP is that it doesn't heat up and get uncomfortable.

Interested to see how cool the new MBAs run when the graphics chips are getting hit.

9. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

I could never trade in my beloved iPad. We share a special, unbreakable bond now. That is, until iPad 2. ;)

10. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Nobody has mentioned apps. Am I to presume that the majority of people here considering a swap have an iPhone or iPod Touch so the need for apps is not applicable.

I for one like to have 'larger' apps on my iPad compared to the equivelant iPhone versions for some of them. This would be one major set back to the MBA.
    Even though Apple are doing the Mac App Store it still doesn't give much indication as to the possibility of iPhone/iPad type apps being usable.

Price wise, there's not much in it. Although I have the 3G iPad and would greatly miss built in 3G functionality. Having to use a dongle or tether would somewhat annoy me but that is just personal preference.

Form factor isnt an issue either I don't think. The thickness and overall size of the 11.6" version is really nice and I can't see it would cause any more of a problem than an iPad could.

Some serious head scratching will be done over the next few months I think.

Also someone said about possible heat issues (or lack of) which will be interesting to hear about after the first ones are shipped out.

11. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

My 11.6 arrives tomorrow I will play with it the weekend and see which I like better my iPad or MacBook, then will sell the loser.

12. bergmef macrumors 6502a

Shame the screen doesn't turn all the way around and switch auto-magically to iOS with loaded apps and all.

13. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

You use a Portege r500? A lot of the road warriors in my office use them. I really want to side-by-side them to compare. The MBA looks like a Portege r500 done right

14. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Satillite...

15. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

If the only computer I had was an iPad I trade it for a MacBook Air. It wouldn't be as nice for some things as my iPad, but I could do code development on the Air.

I'm pretty happy with my iMac for "sit down" work like code development, and my iPad for creative work like sketches, mockups, notes, etc.

It depends on what other equipment you have, what software you need and where you use your computer.

16. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I didn't buy the iPad to be a laptop replacement, so no, I'd keep the iPad. If you don't have a laptop though and need more utility, then by all means.

17. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

after I got my iPad my wife really wanted one but now that the air's are out she really wants one of those. So I will probably get her one for Xmas unless there is more evidence of what the iPad refresh will contain.

18. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

I have an iPad and a desktop. I will never need a laptop again, thank goodness. They get way too hot, the bare minimum when they sell is just too bare minimum. It's just not enough right out of the box. I would need more memory and a boat load of other stuff and then the price drives up.

I can't imagine carrying an iPad and a laptop out on the road at the same time. That makes no sense to me. But that's just me ;). iPad plus windows box equals goodness all around.

19. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I already have a 17" MBP and I wouldn't replace it for a MBA.
    Since I got the iPad, I hardly carry my MBP anymore. Anything I can't do on the iPad, I do it remotely on my MBP using LogMeIn Ignition.

And I prefer the iPad's portability over any net book or even the MBA.

So unless it's free, I'm not planning on getting a MBA any time sooner.

20. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

You know your needs best. Maybe you need a portable device that runs osx.

But otherwise the iPad is smaller, lighter, cheaper, and most importantly for a mobile device . . . . .

. . . . . it's battery will last twice as Long as the air.

21. saberahul macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.713 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Honestly I'd get the air only if it had everything it currently does with the addition of a touchscreen.

22. tripjammer macrumors 6502a

I think this is the way I am gonna go...iMac for desktop home use...and Ipad 64Gb 3G for mobile use...along with a Iphone 4 32GB..

I will line up for the Ipad 2 and the Iphone 5.

23. Zord thread starter macrumors 6502

Zord

Thanks for all the comments everyone! After much consideration I have decided to sell my iPad (Posted on eBay this morning) and get the new Macbook Air 11.6"

It's gonna suit my needs way better. My wife needs a newer laptop so i'm gonna give her my current Macbook. . She is excited! :)

24. karlwig macrumors 6502

This is easy. You don't say anything about special needs, so I will assume you are not in need of Photoshop or editing software or other odd programs on the move -- you wouldn't consider the iPad anyway.

Do you need to type a lot on the move? MBA.

Do you need a primary computer for file import and iPhone sync while on the move? MBA.

Do you move around a lot but only browse the web and send short emails while doing this, and perhaps watch video content and play simple games? iPad.

It could seem like an insult to the iPad, but is not meant as such. A lot of people only need a computer for web browsing and emails. The iPad is perfect for a lot of people. I would consider it myself, but being a journalist I need to write long a little too often while moving around.

25. shen macrumors 6502

If microsoft knew anything about developing software, they might consider making a version of excel for the iPad. I understand that (the iPad) is a new device i have heard some rumors about that runs software and even has a distribution system for said software to be easily sold to people. As a possible growing market (i understand a few iPads have been sold now) this would be an area a good software development company might want to consider. As a software company, microsoft might want to look into this...

Sadly, i am not sure that said company is actually in the business of software development. Some would argue they are currently in the business of monopoly maintenance.