Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speedyvespa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
This sounds bizarre and unbelievable, but it's utterly true.

I work from home and our land line rang. I looked at the number and it was my wife's iPhone number. Thing is, she was in the next room. I went to see what she was doing and she was about to answer the phone. I said, that's your number? She looked... it was... she answered and there was nobody there.

We then thought she might have lost her phone and someone was calling her to let her know, but how would anyone get past the lock screen?

She looked in her bag and there it was, locked. She unlocked it and the recent call indeed showed a call to our land line at 1:44pm.

Anyone else heard of this happening?

johax84

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2009
Finland
That is very strange, have never heard of it before.
Could be a ghost in your house trying to tell you something? :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I had my 4s call another employee one night while it was in my pocket locked. Very embarrassing telling someone you butt dialed them at midnight from an iPhone (impossible).

I chalked it up to a random fluke thing that I somehow may have caused.

Edit : now I think about it, it could be a Siri fluke. I can easily fake out Siris raise to speak function. I turned it off a long time ago and haven't had the issue. So does your wife have a 4s?

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
I've heard of the same thing happening. I can't quite figure out how it could be possible.

One question though, any chance you are using a bluetooth headset and accidentally dialed from that?

speedyvespa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
I've heard of the same thing happening. I can't quite figure out how it could be possible.

One question though, any chance you are using a bluetooth headset and accidentally dialed from that?

Good thinking... I don't think so... but it is blue toothed to the car. Hmm. I'll check that out.

Bigtree

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Is this the same guy who used his wife's phone, to track her, having an affair?:eek:

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I would get that thing out of the house ... as the Horror script says ... "the call is coming from within the house" :eek:

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Same thing happened to me when I was in the car with my mom. I had the phone on the lockscreen and somehow the phone called her. She thought I calling her on purpose until we found out that the phone was in my purse in the backseat.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Unknown

I think this is one of them unknown knows. As one person famously said : There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don’t know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don’t know we don’t know.” – Donald Rumsfeld

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Yes, there was a post like this and I can't find it searching the forum. :mad: So much so that I double checked the date on this one to see if someone replied to an old thread.

flashmom

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2010
My wife's iPhone called her by itself

Hi Folks:
I was hoping that Apple would have recognized this, and more importantly I was hoping Apple would FIX this. By me going through all of MacRumors, I was hoping someone out here could help.
HELP!!
Siri is butt-dialing.... or alarm clock calling... or (whatever I don't know about!) I'll go to message someone to find a cryptic message having been sent, with another on the message line ready to go out. I don't want to disable it because it comes in handy when I'm driving, but if she's going to call people inappropriately, or text people making them seriously worry about me, I wonder if it's worth it.
TIA...

BayareaApplePro

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
I guess nobody has ever heard of the bluffmycall app that's available from Cydia.

You can spoof your phone number to any number you choose.. Except 911

I've played many tricks on my friends and family with this app. Perhaps you are one of the victims of tech savvy friends and family

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.