Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
This has been happening since this past weekend. I live in an apartment complex and have cable modem so I thought it was the neighbors using torrents and killing my bandwidth.

I have a secured network but the WiFi connection on both my iMac and Macbook has been so slow (can't even stand to watch even youtube videos).

However, when I plug the ethernet cable directly into both the iMac and Macbook, I get back my normal speeds.

I have a Tmobile branded Linksys router; I know it's the not router problem because my Gateway Laptop's WiFi connection is still fast.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am running Apple Leopard 10.5.2. Both my iMac's and MacBook are the Current generation models.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
This is a tough one...

for so many of the new MB owners. Basically, you need to make sure that you have the most current Firmware downloaded for your WiFi/LAN Carrier (T-Mobile). You may need to contact T-Mobile and have them walk you through the connection process, since it's probably difficult to do a step-by-step from their internet website. The root of the problem seems to be the WiFi Router is not being recognized by the MB or vice versa. Once you enter the WEP information from T-Mobile you should be back up and running. Keep us posted! :confused:

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
If your wifi is shared then the slowest connection on it is dumbing it down for everyone else. Apple support had me set up two wifi connections one for my n connections and one for g and b. Now my MBP and MB are very fast on wifi and my iPhone and Tivo units use the other. So if some one is connecting with b or g they will be slowing down your n. If you have a personal wifi just make sure no one else can log on to slow it down.

ps.. not sure if this is a quality of only Apple routers.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
That's a good point...

If your wifi is shared then the slowest connection on it is dumbing it down for everyone else. If you have a personal wifi just make sure no one else can log on to slow it down.

ps.. not sure if this is a quality of only Apple routers.

you need to ensure that your WiFi is secured, b/c you don't want others to bog down your connection. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.