My WiFi is broken, I think...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PowerFullMac, Dec 31, 2007.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I went a restaurant a few days ago and I done what I always do when I get somewhere, scanned for WiFi networks, but found nothing. My friend however, on his iPod Touch, found about 5 networks!

He has a 1.1.2 unjailbreaked iPod, I have a 1.1.1 jailbreaked one, but my WiFi has been crap on the iPod from day one (I posted something before about my PSP's 802.11b WiFi being better than my iPod's 802.11g connection, but people assumed it was normal).

Is this a software or hardware bug to you think? Should I update or return?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. solyd macrumors regular

Did you try turning off your wifi and turning it back on? Your friend's iPod seems to have found really weak signal, I doubt he would be able to connect to those, not to mention they'd probably disappear in a second.

3. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Yes I did and it didnt help, and when my friend put his iPod higher it found loads more, but mine found NONE, even holding it right up.

4. imgonephishin macrumors regular

solyd's right, this works for many people. My Touch sometimes wouldn't recognize public wi-fi networks until I turned it off and back on again. But after that, it would work perfectly. Give that a shot and I hope it helps.

If you have a jailbroken pod, try downloading Stumbler. It gives better information about the available networks. If the strength is anything below about 20, then you probably won't have much luck connecting. I've found my wi-fi reception on the Touch to be adequate at best. I can be 30 feet away from my Airport Express (but with two walls between) in my house and not be able to connect. So yeah, I was also a bit disappointed about the wi-fi in the Touch, but it's good enough most of the time.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The iPhone antenna is on the bottom back (black area).
    Make sure your hand isn't covering it (and maintain a firm grip of course).