My wifi mystery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VolleMelk, Aug 19, 2012.

1. VolleMelk macrumors newbie

Hello all, my first but second attempt. Excuse me if I'm short or harsh, but I lost a good story.

I have a 2008 MBP 17" 2.5Ghz 2GB. I bought it with Leopard, upgraded it to Snow Leopard. Then I installed Lion, and 15 minutes after the upgrade to Lion I started the Bootcamp Assistant and installed Windows 7.

The upgrade to Lion and installation of Windows 7 was a month ago. I've been experiencing Wifi drops and a week ago Windows 7 doesn't even recognize the adapter anymore. After that it was the first time I booted back into Lion and found out I had the infamous 'Wi-fi: No hardware installed' problem. I couldn't even add it in the Network Prefences.

So I googled and this is what I did:

* Logout, Login, Sleep, Reboot, Shutdown, Removed power cord and battery wait 30 seconds and restart
    * Resetted PRAM and SMC
    * Moved around plist files
    * Rebooted 20+ times with bluetooth discoverable off, bluetooth off, 'restore with windows' (or something) unchecked.
    * Tried older kext files
    * Re-install of Lion
    * Clean install of Lion (Nothing was restored or whatsoever)
    * Combo update
    * Supplemental update
    * Downgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.3 by erasing the Macintosh HD.

And nothing worked. Now I am downloading the combo update to 10.6.8, but I'm afraid it will not work. So I was planning on going all Windows-98-style on the machine by opening it up, removing the wifi adapter and rebooting. After the reboot shut it down again, reinstall the adapter and start it back up. But this is probably not going to matter at all..

Anyone else has some suggestions?

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Ask an Apple genius if it's a soft fix problem or a hardware failure.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

4. VolleMelk thread starter macrumors newbie

If my wifi card died, would the Apple Hardware Test show that? Do I need to perform an extended scan or the normal scan?

I will call an Apple Store today.

Thanks!