My WiFi SUCKS!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Corsairkid, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Corsairkid macrumors member

Well, when I first got my Touch, the wifi was great. It was very fast and responsive. Now when I try to use it, it just loads and loads and loads...... It never seems to finish loading a page. The only site that I seem to have mild success with is google. Any other site, and all I get is a load with no end. This has been most noticeable after I updated to 1.1.1. Does anyone else have this problem? Also, I did completely restore it once, but that did not solve anything. Any suggestions?

2. aft macrumors regular

I don't have any issues. Even after updating to 1.1.1, i have been posting ob it all night. Have you checked your wireless access point with a laptop or other device to make sure the problem isn't there?

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

FWIW, I saw a post that said cordless phones 2.8 Ghz and above interfere.

4. Corsairkid thread starter macrumors member

Yea I have a laptop that works great with our wireless.

Hmm, I think I will go check out our wireless phones right now. Ill be back in a bit...

5. Corsairkid thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the double post, but I just checked our phones and they are 5.8. Has anyone else heard about this issue? BTW, I have just tried to load meebo.com and before it could do it, my touch went to sleep. I have it set to sleep after 5 min of nonuse.:(

6. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Are you in the bathroom when you try it?

7. colto macrumors regular

That's fine. Wifi (Wireless B/G) operates at the 2.4GHz spectrum. You shouldn't have interference. I would think about returning your touch as defective and getting a replacement.

8. Charcoal macrumors newbie

I'm finding the WiFi on it to be exhibiting weaker signal strength than a WiFi phone I have.

In the house, a decent signal is available throughout. My phone can rip through the BBC news site fairly quickly; as in what you would expect from a home WiFi network. However the Touch takes four times longer to load the same page. I don't believe it's a rendering issue - as my phone (XDA Orbit) doesn't exactly have a lot of grunt either - it looks more like just being able to suck the data down.

In the office, I latch onto a fairly weak WiFi signal. My phone can manage it but it does slow down the page renders. The Touch can see the SSID but has yet to make a reliable connection to it.

I think in summary - the WiFi on the Touch is underpowered, but probably balanced correctly for a extreme low power and slim device.

9. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

hahahahahaha. Typing this on my touch with fast wifi and youtube. in australia

10. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

did u try clearing your cookies and cache nd your history, maybe all of this data (idk how) but possibly is slowing your connection down. its under setting they tap safari.

11. RyanG macrumors 6502

Mine does the same ****. The update borked it hardcore. In class where I used to get awesome signal pickup and fast browsing, I sadtthere for 2 HOURS and it never loaded a page. It's ridiculous and am contemplating returning it. I haven't even taken mine somewhere without the box but the back is still a bit scratched. I don't know if Best Buy will take it.

12. jepaz macrumors regular

Why not make a static IP with your touch and then use OpenDNS IP address to the DNS field. Assuming your Home Router's DHCP is enabled.

13. ebony macrumors regular

where can you specify a static ip in the touch menus ?

found it, you just click on the right arrow in the wifi settings.....

14. Nemisis macrumors member