My Win. 7 trial expires soon so...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bungiefan89, Oct 8, 2011.

1. bungiefan89 macrumors 6502a

At the suggestion of others on this forum, I decided to give Windows 7 a try through bootcamp on my iMac (specs in signature) using this downloadable 30 day trial of Windows 7, and stretching that trial out much longer than 30 days using this guide.

I'm nearing the end of the maximum number of days I can extend this trial, so before I make a decision on whether I actually purchase Windows 7 first, I want to know a few things...

A) How thoroughly can I erase the 300 GB of partitioned space I set aside for Windows 7? For example, can I format that part of the hard drive so that I'm forever rid of any information from Windows 7 and any viruses/malware/trojans I may or may not have downloaded?

B) If I purchase a full version of Windows 7, would I loose any of my data on my bootcamp partition?

C) If I don't upgrade to a full version of Windows 7, what happens to all the information on my bootcamp partition?

D) How easily can information from my bootcamp partition seep into the rest of my computer's hard drive space? That is, if I unintentionally violated some copyright law (like extending the trial period like my second link details) or something on the bootcamp partition, could the rest of my computer's identity be compromised?

Any and all responses are appreciated. Thank you! :D

2. Sincci macrumors regular

A) You can simply delete the Windows partition with Bootcamp Assistant and create a new one and re-install Windows on it. That way you can start your trial period again.

B) If you purchase the Windows 7 license, you can simply activate your installation with the code that comes with it and you won't lose any data.

C) Nothing will happen to it, but it keeps nagging you about your non-activated Windows installation and at least with Windows 7 Enterprise, it will shutdown your machine every hour until you have activated your installation with a proper license.

D) I'm quite sure that Windows cannot insert any unwanted information into your other partitions and thus you are completely safe if you for example delete your Bootcamp partition and recreate it and reinstall Windows on it. However, if you download copyrighted material through p2p networks, it might be that your computer's IP-address could be linked to your computer later on.

3. bungiefan89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WHAT!? :eek: WOW!!! That is the best computer-related news I have heard in AGES! I had no idea I could so easily have Windows 7 for free on my computer by just spamming the free trial over and over again! Thank you SO much for this information! :D

Good do know in case I ever become annoyed from having to re-install the trial version every 120 days... which I don't think I will. :)

Again, that's great to know. I'll be sure to avoid that.

Alright, then all is working just as I thought. Thanks again for all your help!

:)