My wireless mighty mouse won't scroll down..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Braby, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Braby macrumors member

It scrolls up but it won't scroll down, do you think Apple would replace that or not?

2. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Mine was having the same problem. Try pushing down really hard on the ball while scrolling down. Sometimes it'll dislodge whatever gunk is jamming it up. Worked for me.

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

push hard while its upside down rolling the ball in all directions on paper.

4. Arjy macrumors member

get two cotton swabs, soak one in a bit of rubbing alcohol and rub it over the scroll ball, make sure the ball has completely rotated in all directions. Then take the other cotton swab and do the same thing. This is for the first time, and then after this just periodically hold the mouse upside down, push down hard, and rotate in all directions with your fingers. This is what the mac Genius at the store I go to told me to do.

5. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

This is "normal". Check the other threads to see how people have fixed theirs. Mine consisted of wetting the ball a little, moving it around while digging at the edges using a pin. I managed to scrape out large chunks of dust and there hasn't been a problem since. :D (A few months)

6. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

I had this happen to my wired mighty mouse and I couldn't seem to dislodge the piece of grit or whatever which was causing it. Finally cleared it by holding the mouse upside down and sealing my lips over the scroll wheel and blowing. Took a few attempts but it fixed it.

Hope this helps,
    Craig.

7. Braby thread starter macrumors member

First suggestion I tried and now it works.

Thanks everybody!

8. wizwaz3 macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

Is there any way to take the MM apart to clean it or are these the only methods?

9. Schnebar macrumors 6502

Yeah mine was doing it a lot and I took it apart and cleaned the ball and sensors.

Now it has been a few months with no problems.

There was a lot of dust and hair blocking the sensors.

I followed some internet guide on taking it apart.

I don't remember where I found it but I am sure a search on here or google will find it.

10. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Wow, that works super great!

Thanks, this simple task worked out great.

11. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

Yes, I did it with both wired and wireless versions, following the guide to be found here. They both work like a charm now, however this is quite a complicated operation requiring lots of precision.