my wireless signal is really weak or nonexistant...HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by enjoybears, Nov 15, 2007.

1. enjoybears macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new to this board and new to mac. I purchased a macbook a while ago. I live in a house, and the wireless signal from my linksys gateway seems to be strong throughout the house when I use my thinkpad, but not so with my mac. Is it possible that the internal wireless card in my pc has a better antennae than my mac? If not, can I take my macbook into a genius bar to have the internal card checked out? If so, is there an external airport card I can plug in to boost the signal?

Thanks!

2. Macintosh001 macrumors member

Macintosh001

Well first,macs are better than PCs!:apple:Have you make sure you are connected to your network and not some of your neighbours?Or maybe there is something happenning to your router.:eek:But well a genius could always give you a better solution,If you don't find the answer soon I recommend you to go to the genius bar,you'll always find a fast and good answer there.And well about the external airporrt card I don't think you can do that with a macbook.Hope you find the answer soon!:D

3. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Download iStumbler and check if there are nearby networks on the same channel. If this is the case changing to another would improve things.

4. enjoybears thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try that. I have a feeling it will be difficult to prove to the genius that the mac signal is very weak as compared to the PC, aside from swearing on my life that it is in fact the case. But definitely worth a shot. Thanks!

5. enjoybears thread starter macrumors newbie

Very cool. That seems like a great diagnostic tool. I will have to try it out tonight.