My .wmv mystery!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ceek, Apr 29, 2010.

1. ceek macrumors member

ceek

So this one I just don't understand.

Used AE to render out 3min .mov's (DV settings) ending up being about 760mb. Resolution was OK (when rendered using Best settings, looks gorgeous but unusable at 2.5gb).

The client also needs .wmv files however (ugh), so I finally settled on shelling out $40 for Flip4Mac. I still don't have total control of the export settings (more $ of course), but when I did export those same AE rendered .mov files to .wmv, I got stunningly clear videos that looked BETTER than the larger .mov files (and all at 35mb!). What gives?!

Also, if anyone knows of a good way to to get wmv using AE, FCP, or iMovie, please let me know.

Most grateful to the only peeps I ever get real answers from, Mac Rumors!

ceek

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

WMV is short for Windows Media Video and is a highly compressive format.

A .mov file can be large and it can be small, it depends on the CODEC you use, because .mov is only a CONTAINER.

As far as I know, WMV output is not supported by iMovie or FCP, due to it being sub-standard and, more likely, coming from Microsoft.

So look at the codecs AE offers you and what purpose the output file has. If it just for delivery, a codec like H624 is fine, but if you need to further work with the file, other codecs like AIC or ProRes or DV have to be used.

3. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

Oohhhh... [dramatic pause]

Thanks spinnerly.

So, ideally I don't even want to put a .mov file up online in its native form (being it a "container"), but look to further compress it? (Did that question even make sense?).

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Further compression would be good, if it is meant for online viewing or downloading to get viewed. If you have FCP you might have Compressor and can use this to do that.
    The H264 codec for video and the AAC or MP3 for audio are quite good for that and are space efficient.

5. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

I do have Compressor (but hadn't taken the time to de-bug it as I have some issue with the video card [get an error] that's an easy fix in a root file line of code...had the same thing happen with FCP when first installed it). All that to say I'll give it a shot. Thanks so much for the clarification on this; helps me a lot.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Flip4Mac WMV Studio Pro HD