My Work G4/350 PCI

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Jul 1, 2013.

1. eyoungren, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I talk a lot about the G4s that I use at work, but I don't believe I've ever really provided any pictures.

Well¬here is the PowerMac G4/350 PCI. It's running OS X 10.4.11 Tiger with 192mb ram. If I had more ram for it, it'd be running Leopard, but 192mb just isn't going to cut it for 10.5.

Anyway, I use this Mac as an Applescript server. It uses Graphic Converter to process our photos silently/invisibly in the background and it moves our proofs and editorial pages from place to place. It's also serving right now as a font server and a print server for the Intel Mac Pro I have so that I can print to our Appletalk printers.

This Mac is running headless. That is, the Rage 128 graphic card that was in the Mac was removed and placed in the other G4. But before I did that I installed OSXVNC server so that it runs as a service on startup. I use Chicken of the VNC to view the screen. I also have color turned off to save on ram as it's not necessary for what this Mac does. This is why you see the desktop for this Mac as a window on one of my Intel Mac's monitors.

P.S. Ignore the HP next to the G4. We don't use it for anything really. :D

Just thought I'd finally show what I have been blabbering about for so long. Oh, once I can get pics of the other G4 I will post those up.

EDIT: Added better picture.

Attached Files:

2. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Awesome mac Erik

Although I vaguely recall you posting pictures in the ppc setup forum of these macs

3. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, but that was more as a part of the entire set up. This is just focusing on the two G4s, or in this thread the one. And I didn't have any screenshots or explanation about the G4/350 being headless. So, I thought I'd just add this in.

Shameless self-promotion, I know. :D

4. archtopshop macrumors regular

I don't know how well Leopard will run on that 350, but if you want to give it a go, I have (4) 256MB sticks of ram sitting here doing nothing that you can have. (I'm retiring one of my Sawtooth's).

PM me an address, if you can use them.

5. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Absolutely, I can use them. I PMed you. Thank you!

6. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Oh I know a ton about Shameless self-promotion

this one time me and my mates we went into the apple store, and pulled up my youtube channel and websites on all the macbooks and stuff. Then we played one of my Channel playlists on the apple tv hooked up to the huge hd projector and walked out slowly

7. archtopshop macrumors regular

You're very welcome! I'm happy they will get some use.

8. rbbrchckn macrumors newbie

Tiger is the max???

I thought that this Mac couldn't handle 10.5- I thought the Quicksilver was the earliest model that could run Leopard.

9. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Those are Apple's installer limitations. But there are ways. The G4/450 that we have is running Leopard because I used target disk mode and my PowerBook G4 to install it. Since both my PowerBook G4s more than meet the minimum requirements it installed.

In the case of this Mac (G4/350) I am going to have to pull the hard drive out and put it in a case. This is one of the early G4s and so it has the old G3 bus and thus is incapable of Target Disk Mode. Once I upgrade the OS after putting the main drive in a case, I can put the main drive back in the Mac.

If you don't have a second Mac handy you can always try LeopardAssist. LeopardAssist fools the installer into thinking you meet the minimum requirements.