My worst experiences with people growing up was working in groups on projects

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tzhu07, Jan 28, 2015.

1. tzhu07, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015

tzhu07 macrumors regular

tzhu07

I went through your typical public education system growing up, and I always hated working on projects within groups (in which the students couldn't pick the groups themselves).

There always seemed to be that one scrub who rode off everyone else's time and work, and it infuriated me. And you couldn't do much about it.

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have had this happen in my college classes too. It also happens in private school. :p.

Teachers know, and they'll make sure you're not penalized for it. Sometimes they'll specifically put you with some people because they know it isn't going to bother you, and you probably would have liked to work alone anyway. It's better than putting all those guys together and them disrupting class.

Used to be in a class where absolutely no one but me did their assigned work. Fun times. :D

3. gauchotee macrumors newbie

I think it's everywhere

I believe that's like that everywhere. Not just for school, but in most careers.

4. Meister, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015

Meister Suspended

Meister

I don't have the study on hand, but it is pretty much proven that working in teams reduces creativity and productivity by at least 30% per team member.

Thank god, I grew up in a time where kids worked alone.
    Now as an adult I still work alone. Rarely I am forced to cooperate with others and then everything tales 10 times as long.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Better than when you had to pick your own groups. With an autistic daughter currently at a mainstream secondary school, get into 2's or 3's is a nightmare for her. She doesn't have the confidence to do that. Also she is probably the most intelligent in her class, but can't express her ideas. Sometimes in drama her group will give her the part of a tree or a dead body, rather than a speaking part. Not really fair for a 13 year old girl is it?

6. tzhu07 thread starter macrumors regular

tzhu07

For me I experienced it the most during grade school. Then in college it was significantly reduced (in part because the work was more individual, and the super dumbasses never made it to college).

In my career, I will simply campaign for your firing if I see you scrubbing around. I just have no patience for that ****. Thankfully, most people shape up in the real world because it's their livelihood on the line, and due to the common practice of "at will" employment, they know they can be fired instantly if they drag down the team.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

There are private schools who specialize in this.
    They provide the children with privacy for a healthy learning experience.

But there is one advantage of public schools that's commonly overlooked:
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

8. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Working in teams was a love/hate experience for me.

I loved it when we were working on a project I wasn't interested in and the others in the group could carry the load.

I hated it when it was a project I was really interested in, excelled in the subject matter we were covering, but I couldn't hoard the project and do it all on my own. I hate not having control in a situation where I know I'm the most knowledgable/capable person in the group.

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Dat tru. I worked with a guy like that once. I had to call him "Boss.":eek:

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Exactly. I have this happen at work all the time. Ugh!

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I can see the parallels between this and certain PRSI topics.

12. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

really depends on the type of people you're working with. in my experience if the people are good at collaborating it has a synergistic affect, but even if there's 1 person who doesn't pull their weight everyone else suffers.

13. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Working in groups is something most of us will have to do throughout our entire life. Learn to encourage others and make efforts to bring out the best in them.