Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
I've been using my X for about 10 days now and was driving home last night, there's a spot that always loses signal and I've grown used to it. Anyways I drove through it while on a phone call and of course my call dropped off. I got home expecting my signal to be back to normal (as is always the case) but the X just simply died. The bars kept illuminating up and down looking for a network but it wouldn't connect. Tried a reboot, reset network settings and nothing. Called Apple and they said take the sim out and it should say "No SIM" on the top of the screen. Nothing. Just continual searching for bars in the top right hard corner.

I checked with my local store and they had my exact model in (64GB SG) so I put one on reserve, got the box and accessories and headed over. Since it was only 10 days old they refunded it and gave me a new one. I told them they might want to document this as it seems really unusual and has never happened to me before (I've owned every iteration of iPhone). They kind of shrugged and said whatever.

Only hassle was I got AppleCare over the phone so I had to call in and get it transferred.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Yeah the baseband got busted.
Same thing happen to me way back in 2013 with my 5s. The phone was 2 or 3 months old in my case.
Apple exchanged it also without a problem, no questions asked.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Sorry to hear about your problem. Apple charges a lot but the ability to have a place to quickly get the problem resolved is really nice.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Sorry to hear about your problem. Apple charges a lot but the ability to have a place to quickly get the problem resolved is really nice.

Yeah for sure. Honestly I was more surprised they didn't want to test the device for further study. They just did a return and sent me on my way.

Transferring the AppleCare has been a PAIN. You would think it would be simple but it's taken me 2 phone calls and over an hour. They finally said it's done now but I can't verify for another 24-72 hours.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Yeah for sure. Honestly I was more surprised they didn't want to test the device for further study. They just did a return and sent me on my way.

Transferring the AppleCare has been a PAIN. You would think it would be simple but it's taken me 2 phone calls and over an hour. They finally said it's done now but I can't verify for another 24-72 hours.
They are probably still collecting for EFFA, so want the defective device.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
They are probably still collecting for EFFA, so want the defective device.

They never made mention of that. I called again today and they had to do the process over again. Who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.