My X25-M didn't come with a black border

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Jun 14, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

2. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Did you get the 2.5" form factor one?

Personally, I wouldn't consider it normal from experience with 4 Intel SSDs I've bought and from photos in countless eBay listings.

The bright side is that it won't affect installation in a MacBook Pro, but it might if you ever put it in another manufacturer's laptop.

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

[​IMG]

When I install this Optibay upside down, the drive has a bit of a gap between the bottom of the laptop and where it is so I secured it with masking tape today.

But do you think I should return it? I paid for the G2, the 9.5mm version with the black border padding and got the 7mm version, same drive just not with the plastic thing on top. I wasn't even aware until I came across the gap issue recently when manhandling the laptop a bit.

Newegg.com - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MJ080G2XX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD

Also seeing this, a new SKU that has replaced the G2, 9.5mm version. Any idea?

4. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Yikes, I forgot about installing the SSD in an OptiBay. I think you should return it if this is how you've installed the SSD. I can easily imagine the SSD bumping against the insides of the MBP. And the tape just makes everything tacky.

But if you put the SSD in the normal drive spot and your mechanical drive (if you're using one) in the OptiBay, everything would fit nice and tight and your Mac can hibernate with the SSD. Then, it's less necessary to go through an exchange.

Still, I think you should return. You should get what you paid for, and the plastic bracket does have a functional purpose.

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

hmmm, will talk to customer service tomorrow. i have the original OEM box and the drive obviously, but I think I misplaced the invoice.

And now the drive I originally purchased that they accidently sent me the 7mm version of has been replaced with another.

ugh, I get myself into weird technical situations ALL THE TIME.

6. Reapur macrumors regular

Dont they email you an invoice at time of payment? Just print another one out. But yeah just move your stock drive to the Opti bay and the SSD to the HDD bay which is totally secure.

7. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather