My YouTube over WiFi is poor

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by AdamA9, Feb 22, 2011.

1. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2010

Had this problem for as long as I can remember, I always assumed it was my internet, however, having tried this on a few other networks, I think I can put this down to the phone, or the app.

Whenever I tried to watch an internet clip, on YouTube for example, it takes forever to load, and when it does, it's always at a buffer. If I watch the same clip on 3G, it loads in no time and plays with no problems.

Is this an inherent problem with YouTube and the iPhone or is there a magical setting I can change to make this better?

2. benhollberg macrumors 68020

Mar 8, 2010
    I have the same problems. YouTube on an iOS device at my house over WiFi takes forever to load. It seems like it is always like that for any WiFi I use, even at work. Going onto 3G loads faster but it makes to quality worse. The only place where I can get smooth YouTube on my iPad or iPhone is at the university, but they have really fast connections.
  3. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2010
    I have a 20mbps connection at home, so it shouldn't be my WiFi causing the problem.
  4. PopCulture macrumors member

Jan 11, 2011
    I have the same issue. I thought it might be my provider and considered getting them involved.
  5. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    Same issue here. My wifi will take forever to load (if it ever even does) while 3G will fire right up.
  6. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

May 31, 2010
    I have the same problem. So I just go to the mobile site in Safari and it's much faster.
  7. JohnBossu macrumors member

Feb 9, 2011
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Same here, my wifi is considerably really fast so I dont think the problem is from the connection
  8. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

Dec 7, 2005
    compost heap
    Yep. Same here on iPod Touch 4G. Youtube just sux on my IPT4 - frequently it won't load the movie at all, just crash, or it will give a message that it can't load the movie. Lame.
  9. nedz06 macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2011
    Me too. I compared my laptop and my phone connected to a single access point and it took years to load!!!:mad:... no problems with the connection, it's just with this phone.
  10. tezmo macrumors newbie

Apr 6, 2010
    Ditto. Tried all manner of things to get this working properly. Absolutely nothing, and apple don't acknowledge the problem.
  11. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

May 16, 2005
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F5166b Safari/6533.18.5)

I think you have to turn 802.11b off on your router to fix it. Problem has existed since original iPhone which is annoying.