My Zagg Rant

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Senseotech, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Senseotech macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

This is both a rant to cool off and a "buyer beware" situation. Several years ago, I got an InvisibleShield for my iPod 5G and absolutely loved it. It was back in the wet-install only days, and while it was a challenge, it was alright and worked great. Fast forward to October, and I have a nice shiny 4S in white that I want to protect without hiding. I was at the local AT&T store on launch day looking for cases, and decided to grab the dry install InvisibleShield for front and back. I got it home and attempted the install, only to have the alignment film's silver text and graphics stick to my shield, rendering it useless.

I went ahead and bit the bullet, registering my product with Zagg, and getting a replacement. This time, I went with the full body wet install; front, back, and sides. I got it in, did the install, which was quite trying at times, and let it sit the required 24 hours before turning it back on. Within a week, the back shield would slide around to the point where I'd end up with a quarter inch off the phone. I also noticed that my being in the pocket of my jeans had turned the shield into a dingy blue hue. So, once again, I requested a replacement, and decided I'd try the dry again, since I seemed to stick better and I'd hoped they'd fixed the bleeding issue.

I waited a week, got my new one in, took off the wet install, and started the new dry install process, only to have THE EXACT SAME GRAPHICS BLEEDING ISSUE! So I called Zagg, and they apologized, sent me a new one out for free (how nice since I'd paid $30 for the first shield and $4.99 two times since for the "free" replacements). I was completely without a shield for protection for a week while I waited for the new one. I finally got it today, and guess what?!? The alignment film won't even stick to the shield this time, so its completely impossible to install! Called Zagg again, and was told I'd somehow done it wrong and it was impossible for ANY of the issues I'd had to happen and that no, there was no way I was going to get any money back.

Bottom line for those who hate to read: Zagg products are horrible and the support is just as bad. I will NEVER purchase another product from them, and now I feel horrible for sending friends and clients their way.

2. vtclan macrumors regular

Everybody hates the orange peel texture as it is. I think thats enough to stray them away from Zagg. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Yes Zagg is pretty bad. If you want wet install skins there are much better and cheaper alternatives. The lifetime warranty is a gimmick really, it's not really free.

4. Senseotech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

Hilariously enough, I honestly grew to enjoy that texture, especially with the side shields, it was a much "grippier" feeling. But I can't enjoy having my white phone turn blue after a week and a half, nor will I be dealing with this preposterous customer service and "free" replacements business. Now to find a good replacement :roll eyes:

I'm actually thinking of going with a hard protector this time, but the wrapsol wet install cover's are calling my name.

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Look at BestSkinsEver. The orange peel is much less on that one. But you don't get a solution.

6. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

I also gave up on zagg. I first started using their products back when the first iPod video came out. The quality was great back then. I recently purchased an iPhone 4S and figured i would get zagg screen protector since my previous experience was positive. The zagg screen protector I received didn't have the proper cut outs so I received a replacement. Got the second zagg screen protector, used it for a month and them the corners started peeling off. I decided I would try the sgp crystal screen protector and man am I happy. The screen feels like there isn't even a protector on it, it doesn't have the orange peel effect, and the clarity is much better than the zagg screen protector. Overall, I feel zagg used to make good products. Seems like zagg is making inferior products these days. I'll be using sgp from now on!

7. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I remember getting the Zagg shield when I got my 3G in 2008. After 2 weeks of use it was peeling near all the buttons and had dirt and stuff lodged in there. Never looked on the website again.

8. chrisvee macrumors regular

+1 for bestskinsever. No orange peel texture, looks great, and cheap as dirt. :D

9. Senseotech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

Best part is that I still haven't heard back from Zagg after reaching out via twitter and the email support form.

10. dauerhippo macrumors regular

+1 for Wrapsol. Their products are all fantastic in my experience, and their customer service is SUPERB. I had an issue once with a skin they sent me for my original iphone4, and they ended up sending me a replacement AND refunding my money. All the shipping was overnight and completely paid for by them. Definitely worth giving them a try. They have both dry and wet install versions and their new anti-glare films are the clearest anti-glare films I've ever used, even including the dry static apply type. (e.g. Powersupport) Just my $.02.

11. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

12. Senseotech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

This may be my remedy, as I'm going on a week and a half of no coverage, and ZAGG appears to have no interest in responding to my messages, so I need something quick and now. I can get a wrapsol locally, but everything else I'll have to wait on to ship and deliver.

13. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

I use a wrapsol for the back, front, and side. Love it.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You're obviously incapable of installing these on your own. There is no way that many came defective.

Go find a mall kiosk and let the girlie there install it for you.

15. Senseotech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

Yes, because I can control how an ink bleeds into a plastic coating by how I install it. Leave troll.

16. Senseotech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

Alright, finally got a response from Zagg, and I must say that, short of eating my foot, I've been taken care of. I currently have another dry install as well as a wet install coming 2nd day air, and actually feel like if these don't work, I'll be taken care of instead of the previous issues. Passing along this to anyone else who feels as I did, contact @ZAGGChick on twitter or email at zaggchick@zagg.com and she will make sure everything is to your satisfaction.

17. reebs macrumors 6502

I used Zagg before I discovered Power Support. Believe me, you won't be disappointed.

18. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

Zagg is crap. I used a Zagg for my iPod touch last year, and within days it seemed to already be peeling.

There are way better options other than Zagg. Zagg charges so much because they give you a fancy squeegee (credit card) and a solution (water and a few drops of soap).

Plus, I hated the tacky orange peel effect.

I personally use bestskinsever, was on my iPod for a year, and ZERO peeling.

Like I said, there are many brands out there, don't feel like you have to pay an arm and a leg for a piece of plastic.

19. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

Thanks for your testimonial. I will stay away from Zagg. I think, I saw a thread, telling people to stay away from that product. I'm surprised you didn't see it here.

20. vtclan macrumors regular

I actually dont have a complaint with zagg. I had one on my ipod touch 2g since the day i bought it and its been fine. No peeling, but im sure it has darkened as others have said. Ive never removed it so I cant comment on that. The orange peel is to be expected as that is what polyurethane looks like.

21. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Zagg is absolutely awful. I agree with the above: Powersupport is excellent. However, this time around with my 4S I just tried some cheap covers from Amazon - basically identical to my old powersupport at 1/3 the price. I got 3 front covers and a rear cover for $8 shipped. Can't remember the brand name...