My Zombified iPhone 3GS Problems

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gamehead200, Jul 10, 2011.

1. gamehead200 macrumors newbie

gamehead200

Hi all,

Long time lurker here - only posted a few times. Hoping someone can help me figure out what's going on.

A few weeks back, my 16 GB iPhone 3GS got smashed on the top left corner. The case cracked in a few places, the bezel got warped, and the LCD cracked. A few other things came loose/broke inside, but for the most part, everything else functioned (but the phone, in the state it was, was useless to me).

I decided to pick up an 8 GB iPhone 3G on Craigslist for $100. It had a few dead pixels and weak Wifi reception, but it did the job. In the mean time, I found a replacement LCD for my 3GS for $30 and ordered it (for $30, can't go wrong).

I got the replacement LCD, replaced it, and the 3GS was working once again. After a few days of use, the mute button stopped working, so I decided to take it apart again and try tightening it up if it could. After taking off the logic board, I realized a lot more inside was broken. Screw holes for connectors and the like had either cracked or been ripped off after the smashing and the mute button was beyond repair.

After some tinkering, I realized that I couldn't repair the mute button or the other stuff that was cracked inside, so I thought about swapping the internals of the 3GS with those of the 3G. It wasn't much of a problem swapping everything (i.e., battery, logic board, camera housing, dock connector/antenna housing); it all just fit together pretty well. Now I have a zombified iPhone 3GS and an iPhone 3G in a cracked/warped case, the latter being the least of my worries (I'll just use it as a backup phone).

Well, what I noticed after powering both phones on is the following: the iPhone 3GS had now acquired the iPhone 3G's weak Wifi reception problem and the iPhone 3G now had perfect Wifi reception. I figured the little metal contacts on the side of the logic board and dock connector/antenna housing weren't touching the bezel of the phone, so I took it apart, bent them out a bit more, and put everything back together - no change. So now I'm wondering if the cases/housings or the bezels are made differently on both the iPhone 3G and 3GS.

Any ideas?

P.S. I don't really need Wifi on the 3GS as I have a 6 GB data plan, but it would be handy to have in situations where I don't have a 3G signal (i.e., in some basements).

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I'm surprised that you even got either phone working after that. Generally, iPhone 3Gs and 3G parts can't be interchanged. Unless you switched absolutely everything.

The weak wifi issue is a common thing with the iPhone 3G and is due to the soldering cracking and leaving fissures that weaken the signal. One solution I saw on YouTube was someone putting their logic board in the oven. :p