My3G and YouTube

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by venuslight, Jun 9, 2010.

1. venuslight macrumors member

Installed My3G on my iPad last night for the main purpose of improving the video quality of YouTube over 3G. It works perfectly on my iPhone.

My3G works for several of the apps that I tried on my iPad, but not with YouTube. I have it selected in the app, and when I tried to turn it on for every app, I was unable to slide the toggle switch at all.

Anybody had any success with this? Luckily I'm just on a trial and haven't spent and $ on it.

I would buy 3G Unrestrictor if I had confirmation that it worked with YouTube on the iPad. Unfortunately, I don't see an option for a trial on Cydia.

Thanks.

2. venuslight thread starter macrumors member

Really?

Nobody has tried to watch YouTube over 3G without it looking like garbage?

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

3G unrestrictor works on the iPad. I use it and it works great with YouTube and all.

4. GinoDotCom macrumors regular

The fact that YouTube videos look like crap in the first place over 3G with no hack really pisses me off. Like how much elfin bandwidth are we sparing AT&T while our browsing experience takes a serious hit.

I haven't seen how bad the YouTube videos look on a 3G iPad but on the iPhone they're simply unbearable to watch and unacceptable.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ I agree there should be an option for lower / high quality when using 3G in YouTube automatically. With a simple disclaimer on first use that data usage will be higher on high quality and those on small data plans advised to use the Lower quality should they wish.

Those of us on unlimited or high GB caps should not be hindered from our browsing experience, it's the reason why most of us chose high caps or unlimited plans in the first place.

6. Star56 macrumors member

AT&T is NOT the reason You Tube videos are bit starved on the ipad. It is the App. If you access AT&T 3G using a wifi hot spot or Mifi...the videos are played at full bitrate. It is the App that is signaling the down rez.

Fool the App into thinking you are using Wifi, but are really using 3G, the videos look great.

Again, You Tube is streamed at full rez/bitrate over AT&T 3G. It is the App that causes the bitrate to be restricted.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

8. venuslight thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info - I'll try it out. I wonder why my3G doesn't.

9. GinoDotCom macrumors regular

I don't necessarily think this is accurate. YouTube over 3G cannot stream at the full re/bit rate that wifi does. When you stand next to someone with a virgin 3GS and you have 3G unrestrictor on yours.. try to access the same YouTube video at the precise same time. The person with the virgin 3GS will load his video much quicker than you because the content he/she is pulling down from the network is much lighter in data than streaming something with wifi like quality like with what 3G is pulling down for you. Apple implemented this because of AT&T's request.