My3G & MyWi Red Flag AT&T

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JLBReakFollies, Feb 6, 2012.

1. JLBReakFollies macrumors newbie

I own an iPad 2 (WiFi only) as well as iPhone 4S. I was ecstatic to see Absinthe finally arrive! All the new tweaks are incredibly rewarding. My bank account has taken a beating in the last week because of all the licenses I've been purchasing. Here is my question: I love MyWi, but for the last few months on my iPhone 4S I never went above 100 MB of data. I monitor it closely, even though I pay for 2 GB. However, after installing the combination of MyWi and My3G I can use my 3G on my iPad by tethering, and also use FaceTime on both because of it! I never would have thought this to be possible and I am in love with it.

BUT... I checked my data usage, and apparently I've almost reached my cap, and I still have 17 days left until my next billing cycle. I am worried that if I continue this, AT&T may get suspicious, because I never used much data at all. I had a 3Gs, and I only ever used 200 MB a month. Anyone got any suggestions? Will AT&T know that I'm tethering? Watching HD videos and using FaceTime on my 3G? :eek:

2. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

Watching videos, much less HD videos, will drastically use data. AT&T always knows, it's whether or not they choose to reprimand you.

3. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

So what if you are tethering?? iPhone does it without JB lol
    If you have a 2gb plan, you can use it. There's nothing wrong with it and since JB isn't illegal, they can't complain...

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

ATT will switch him over to the tethering plan which will cost him $50/month.

5. redbroccoli macrumors member

I understand that using MyWi could be redflagged by AT&T, but My3G???
    Doesn't My3G just make apps think they are on wifi network instead of 3G network and have nothing to do with tethering?

6. iFiend macrumors 65816

Yes, but My3G allows him to use FaceTime over 3G, instead of wifi only, which will suck a lot of extra data. It's not My3G itself, but the abilities that it gives him, that he is worried about.

OP- just show a little self restraint (and I mean that in the nicest way). Ask yourself this- is that HD movie that you're streaming via tethering, through your 4S and to your iPad, really worth it?

Find a hotspot ;)

7. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

they will

Using my3g if anything will get you throttled. I use around 2-4 gb's per month. And to me that is completely reasonable.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Chances are the worst it will happen to you is that you get throttled, if you get pass your 2G they are going to charge you, so they don't really care much about it, account that get flag for review are those grandfathered on the unlimited plan and when they go from 100MB to 10GB...usually.

9. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

Lol i'm sorry then... But still doesnt making sense, because if he has a 2gb plan, why would they red flag him for using it?

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

because he went from 100MB usage to almost 2GB in a single billing cycle, it is enough to review his traffic to detect if he is doing any unofficial tethering, but as i say, chances are it is not going to happen

11. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

Ok ok, i just thought that they would only do this if he had an unlimited plan ;)