My3G vs MyWi

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by CC424, Aug 2, 2010.

1. CC424 macrumors regular

Had a couple of questions and hoping some one could clear them up.

1. What is the difference between the programs?

2. I have an Iphone 4 and should I be concerned using both apps, going over the 2gb data limit?

Thanks in advanced!

2. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Mywi tethers

my3g tricks the phone into thinking its on wifi

I would be very careful tethering without an unlimited plan. A computer can eat up data much faster than the iPhone can.

3. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Im guessing but Mywi burns more battery that My3g.

4. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

1) Tricks apps to thinking they're on wifi

2) Yes, be very concerned one tethers, the other uses all 3G. so you'll go over that 2gb cap quick, 2gb is actually a waste with these 2 apps.

MY3G and MyWi are two seperate things no reason to compare them

5. CC424 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the post and I will definitely be on the alert if I use MyWi!

But if I only use My3g on facetime, does anyone know how much data that could use? (i know it depends on the length of the call, just wondering if there is a conversion, for example 3 minutes = 500kb)

6. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

With 2GB you're going to be eating up alot of data on facetime, and why would you use facetime for a 3 min call? seems a waste for 3 entire minutes.....IMO

7. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I saw a post on my twitter where someone tested it and they said FaceTime used around 3 MB per minute on the calls they made.

8. CC424 thread starter macrumors regular

Understood...really not comparing them just trying to get a better understanding before I buy them.

I would like to tether and use facetime but I don't want to get charged out the ying yang.

I have a 2g that was never activated and I may try to upgrade my plan...only thing is I need to do it for my wife as well but I only have one old iphone...

9. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

If you go over you're charged for another 2 gb plan. So you won't be raped with per mb charges.

10. ZenoVT macrumors regular

a 30 minute convo on facetime will set you back about 80-100mb of data. tested =D

11. bmms8 macrumors 68020

I had mywi before on my 3GS. I just downloaded that and my3g. To my understanding mywi can onviously tether but also do what my3g does because you can connect to your own network made with mywi. So in that case mywi is the winner for me

12. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

This was true with the previous version of MyWi. The battery would drain even while plugged in making the time available to use with MyWi very short.

With MyWi 4.0, I tethered for over 4 hours earlier today and my battery stayed at 100% the entire time while tethering through USB. 4.0 is much improved!

13. iphonedude123 macrumors member

Epic fail. It charged itself while plugged in. Of course it stayed at 100%.

14. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Epic fail fail!

I have a 32GB 3GS that has the old version of MyWi. I use it plugged in and the battery begins to drop within 20 minutes. After a few hours being plugged in, the battery will go way below 50%. The battery actually stops charging when the phone gets hot allowing the phone to discharge when plugged in.

Again this doesn't happen with the iPhone 4 using MyWi 4.0 when plugged in.

Understand now? I hope so.

15. Syk macrumors 6502a

How is it a fail when SK stated the previous version of MyWi would still drain the battery even when plugged into your USB port..

16. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Double epic fail. The older version of MyWi when using wifi tethering and 3G would drain battery faster than you could charge it. Even plugged into a wall the battery would still go down.

17. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Thanks for the backup!
    Thanks for the backup!

People just don't read or they barely skim over a post and when they reply as in this case, they are very wrong in their reply!

18. Syk macrumors 6502a

I'm happy to hear that it will stay charged while plugged in. That was one thing that kind of annoyed me.

19. jarredduq macrumors newbie

I got around this problem by mounting my phone on my A/C vent in my car. Keeps the phone from overheating. Unfortunately, it won't help during the winter..... By then I hope to upgrade from my 3GS to the 4

The other day I had to use my wifi all day long on a job site. I ended up putting the phone in a mini refrigerator with the charging cord sticking out the side of the door. It worked all day long with no issues, and stayed at 100%...

20. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

My 3GS never had any issue charging with older versions of mywi.

21. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Same with my 3GS, just left it on charger, good for hours of tethering.

Picked up both MyWi and My3G for new iPhone 4 iDevices.
    Good to go for FaceTime via 3G and tethering via 3G.

22. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

I tried to do this, but my FaceTime calls still failed. Have you gotten FaceTime to work this way?

23. bmms8 macrumors 68020

yes, maybe more can try this method but i basically tuned on tethering via mywi and went into wifi and connected to the network. it then worked.

24. FailasaurusRex macrumors newbie

Here's an article that backs up what you were saying. In it, they say that in a call involving a lot of movement, the iPhone used 14.7 MB for a 5-minute call, averaging less than 3 MB per minute. That being said, that can add up pretty quickly if you're using FaceTime a lot. I think it could be manageable under your plan, you'll just have to watch yourself.