mybook 1tb troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by deriko100, Aug 30, 2008.

1. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Hi there i just bought a mybook 1tb hard drive from best buy it works great i wanted to know how to use it for itunes and is it worth using time machine, please dont flame thanks bye

2. jsgrabo macrumors regular

What I did for itunes is i copied my "iTunes Music" folder over to the external and made an alias of that new copy. Once all that was done, I deleted my music folder on my actual mac and then copied the alias i made of the folder on the external, over to where my "iTunes Music" folder was in my "Music > iTunes" folder.

Backing up your data can be invaluable. You can use time machine with that external drive while at the same time using for your itunes music. Once you complete the lengthy first time backup, only files that have been added/chaged will be added to the backup.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

Instead of aliasing the folder, what you could do is have the library files (of a trivial size, only in the megabytes of disk space - e.g. mine is 55mb and 32000+ songs) on the hard drive, but store the actual music files on a separate drive. Go to iTunes preferences, Advanced, and select a folder on your hard drive for the location in the General tab.

4. deriko100 thread starter macrumors 6502

tried that before didnt work i liked the alias