MyBook Essential Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kari9628, Dec 2, 2010.

1. kari9628 macrumors newbie

Ok so I have a MyBook Essential and I have it formatted to my MacBook Pro (the MyBook Essential is a little over a year old). I have only ever backed up my computer completely twice so when I went to back it up this time (so that I could upgrade to Snow Leopard) and it was full.

The MyBook Essential has only 500GB and it is split between my backup and my book (which holds personal files for classes). I believe the My Backup part has 200GB. So I cleared them by deleting them in Disk Utility to get rid of any nasty hidden files (I do this to clean my thumb drive too and it works fine).

Well now whenever I connect my external hard drive the computer slows way down and freezes every now and then (especially when WD Smartware is loading up). This makes it impossible for me to back up my computer and now Time Machine delays in the back up saying it can't find the volume.

Help?

-Kari

2. simsaladimbamba

Take a look at Activity Monitor (Show All Processes and sort by CPU) to see, if a process is using up precious CPU usage.

Do you need the WD Smartware or why is it running?

Btw, what format did you choose for the partition you erased, or did you use any other method in Disk Utility to delete the data? You have two partitions on that external HDD though?

3. kari9628 thread starter macrumors newbie

Might've found out Why...

Ok so WD Smartware is a program that comes with my hard drive and pops up every time you plug in the hard drive to show what is on your computer and how much space is left and the same information in your external hard drive. You can also do back ups in this program but I use Time Machine.

As far as what Activity Monitor, it turns out the highest ranking process is Shockwave Flash (Google Chrome Plug-In Host). #2 is Adobe Application Manager. WD Smartware is #9 on the list.

I did end up going into Time Machine to reset the disk it uses to back up my computer and now it's actually not delaying (it's preparing right now) but that didn't solve the slowing and freezing of my computer while the hard drive is plugged in.