Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keyz

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2005
I'm looking to get an external hard drive for my macbook pro. It seems that I'm quickly losing hard drive space. A big part of the problem is my itunes library, but the other huge part of the problem is that I do a lot of music recording.

I'm wondering if the MyBook would be a good external hard drive to record to and then access music samples from? I couldn't find anything on the website about how fast it is? Is it 7200rpm?

Post your reviews of the MyBook external hard drives please. I was specifically looking at this one here. Thanks!

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Got similar version last year, mybook pro, but just usb and firewire400 320GB

Been quiet happy with it but a bit noisy, it will making a slight humming sound that is really irritating when in a very quiet environment

If this is a problem then defiantly go for something else, got a older WD drive which much quieter

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Yup, I second that post about it being loud. I also had the previous model and it sounded like a jet engine in my office. I sure hope they fixed that issue

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2005
I have the MyBook Pro version, very nice and stable but it goes to sleep all too easily and takes a bit to wake up. Unfortunately it does this based on some internal setting that has nothing to do with the energy setting on my mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.