Mybook Studio keeps skipping when playing files

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 3000, May 24, 2009.

1. 3000 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone of you can help me out on this one.

I just received a WD Mybook Studio 1TB to be used with my new iMac. Only one big problem, whether the hard drive is connected to usb or firewire 800, it will skip when playing any file like a movie or music. I ended up downloading and installing the newest firmware and formatting the hard drive. But still, even now it keeps skipping.

Disk Utility shows, after verifying, the hard drive is ok. No need to repair anyways. Is there any other way to be sure the hard drive itself is broken?

Thanks!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

what program are you using to play the files?

do the files still skip if you copy one to the internal drive and play from there?

3. 3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using VLC to play some MP3 files. The same MP3 files are located on the internal hard drive as well, from there they play as they should.

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

It's been reported before with VLC, though no definite solution exists.
    Read through here, maybe it'll give you a notion or two. http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=46152&p=171919

Try using another player to play your files off your external, and see if that helps.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

open preferences

make sure advanced (or all depending on your version) is checked.

open "input / codecs" -> "access modules" -> "file"

raise the caching value by 1000 to start, if that doesn't work go higher.

you will notice a slight delay when first starting, but it's not too bad.

6. 3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Insuline Junkie and waw74, thanks!

I made the changes waw74 recommended to VLC and although it seems it's working better, it's still not good enough to my needs I guess.

I changed the caching value to 1500. At this point VLC plays the movie files at a correct speed instead of skipping to the end of the movie after 15 seconds or so. Though, I do get artifacts which don't appear when I play the same movie file from my internal hard drive.

The playback of a few MP3 files highlight the same problem, except no artifacts but still skipping at certain points. Again, playback from the internal hard drive is as good as it gets.

Playback of the before mentioned movie file in Plex doesn't help a bit. Artifacts and stopping the movie after 15 seconds or so. I did not change anything to Plex regarding caching or anything.

Would a reinstall of Leopard be of any help?

7. Cole Slaw Suspended

Cole Slaw

3000;
    I just received the same external hard drive you have (WD MyBook Studio 1TB) and I do not have the same problem.
    However, when I play a movie off of the external I use Quicktime.
    I wonder if VLC is what's giving you the problem?

8. 3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

@Cole Slaw, I don't think VLC is the problem. Especially as VLC plays the same movie file from my internal hard drive perfectly!