MyFord Touch - Cool New Auto Tech

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DakotaGuy, Jan 12, 2010.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

This is a demonstration of the new MyFord system as shown in the 2011 Ford Edge coming next fall. It appears to build on the SYNC system and complete the package. It's the neatest integrated car technology I have ever seen. It should appear on several models. I would think the all new 2011 Fiesta and Focus should be some of the first ones. A similar system is already on the Fusion Hybrid, but this will add functionality to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrLdMi_r7-Q

Even if you hate Ford vehicles, but love technology this is worth the watch.

2. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Now THAT is pretty sweet.

Just wish the company I worked for would let me order that on my company car.....

3. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

So this would be available as an option on all fords? That's pretty cool if it is.

4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I have been really impressed with Ford lately. The new Fusion is a very good car (Motor Trend's Car of the Year, among other awards). They finally realized that Ford of Europe builds some great small cars, and decided to bring them here. I just checked out the new Focus that they showed at the Detroit auto show, and it looks amazing. They finally decided to have one platform for both the US and Europe. If they bring out a RS/SVT version of this sucker, I might lose willpower and buy one. :) The new Fiesta looks pretty nifty, as well. It's also the same platform in both places.

5. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well it sounds like it will be and they feature it on the video for the all new 2012 Focus. I assume it will start on their newest cars and then filter down to their whole line within a year or two. The Focus should be out next winter and the Edge will have it this fall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjmyTw0JS0k

If you notice at about 43 seconds in it appears to have "Cover Flow" for albums. I am not sure if they will be using it for other things as well.

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

What is "in front of you" 25 feet or 25 inches?

7. waloshin macrumors 68040

Ahh i see a rip off of the Chrysler My gig system that has been out for years.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Am I the only one who would rather have physical buttons for certain controls? I can push a button on my stereo, or turn a dial that controls the interior temperature faster, and with fewer errors, than I could wih a touhscreen.

I like that GPS and Maps is touchscreen, and perhaps song/track selection would be easier. However, is it easier/faster to change the volume? No. Is it as easy to multitask and hange multiple settings at almost the same time? No way.

There isn't anything wrong with our current system of controls (for the most part), so while this may be an advancement in technology, it's also a solution looking for a problem.

9. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

This looks to integrate much more then MyGig does. I agree that some still prefer hard buttons and dials to turn. This will be an optional system. You don't have to buy a car with this. I have SYNC on my Fusion and it is really a great thing to be able to integrate my phone and iPod and never have to touch anything except for one button on the steering wheel to activate the system.

SYNC will still be offered which works with the basic audio system as well.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Am I the only one that would rather have people pay attention to the bloody road? Radio and GPS is fine, but things like this encourage distraction.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mullaly has made a real point of pushing in-vehicle electronics and technological features as part of what the "new Ford" means. Some of it includes things that Ford had already done in Europe (for instance, there was already a hardtop cabrio Focus there, but we never got one), part of it includes things like including more hi-tech features in smaller cars (like the seven airbags and anti-nibble control in the Fiesta), and then Sync / MyFord seems to be the crown jewel.

It sounds like the Fiesta just has Sync, though -- at least for 2011. That's the way they've been advertising it so far.

EDIT: I can't watch the youtube video at work... this isn't something like those awful touchscreen systems in luxury cars a few years ago, is it? Where one had to wade through menus on a touchscreen while driving... that was an awful idea.

EDIT2: Ahhh, okay, here is a non-Youtube link explaining it:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186444/faq_fords_myford_touch_connected_car.html

12. waloshin macrumors 68040

The Chrysler Mygig also comes with Chrysler uconnect which allows you to download your phone contact your the Mygig and make and answer your phone. There's also a usb for the ipod too.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

From the link above:

Like I said before, UI lag-time and the inability to change multiple settings (from different control panels like stereo and air con) simultaneously, or immediately after the other, would make this a killer app, and not in a good way. A split-second lag would require the driver to stare at the screen for a little bit longer, and in my experience, UI lags can last far longer than a split second. If a system occasionally lags by more than 0.5 seconds, it would be unacceptable in the long term.

14. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I'm with you. I've use the BMW and Mercedes nobby thing by the arm rest. While the nob was simple to use, there is no need for 4 pages of menu just to change the volume.

15. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

There are still hard buttons for many simple functions such as changing the volume.

As far as a lag time, it won't be introduced until fall so I assume it will be much better in production form. Ford has been good about pushing out software upgrades for my SYNC system and I would think this system would be the same.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

looks like they are falling into the same trap like other car makers did before "everything adjustable through a god damn menu" ... i'm not getting what makes this so great
    and then touch screen .. which while driving is a pain to use... while standing still it's awesome but it's unpractical ... like seen on the video: changing heat seating buried in a menu ? how pointless is that .. so when the driver is using navigation i can't change that as the passenger ?
    or are they going to put in additional buttons which would make the system redundant ?

edit:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNwU4-lxgRU&feature=fvw

and this is supposed to be easy to use ?

and why put up 2 lcd screens + analog dial on the dash instead of simply a single big one (like other car makers are doing) ?...