myname's Mac Pro (2), myname's Mac Pro (3), etc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by freshface, Nov 23, 2010.

1. freshface macrumors newbie

freshface

I really tried to google what's up with that but it's impossible since I just don't know what search phrase to use for this one...

In Finder, under "Devices" on the left side, instead of original

myname's Mac Pro

there was:

myname's Mac Pro (2)

for a few days and now there is:

myname's Mac Pro (3)

I have also noticed that in the main menu of Plex (www.plexapp.com), I have:

Movies - Mac Pro
    Movies - Mac Pro (2)
    Movies - Mac Pro (3)

Can anybody give me a hint what that is and how to fix it? Or at least prevent it since I will do a clean install soon anyway. Thanks! :)

P.S: I believe that MP (3) popped out once my mac freezed and I had to manually hold the power button to restart the machine...

2. freshface thread starter macrumors newbie

freshface

bump+update:

I did put my mac to Sleep. After 20 minutes I came back, woke it up and the display was blue (just like the blue screen of death on Windows) with a little vertical black stripes all over it.

Nothing helped, so I pressed the Power button for a few seconds to do a restart. After the restart, my mac is no longer "myname's Mac Pro (3)", but now it's "myname's Mac Pro (4)". So I believe the number switches every time I did such a cold hard restart...

Does any of you have an idea of what might be an issue here? I am clueless :confused:

3. Hydramus macrumors member

I have a feeling this has something to do with your router and it remembering your Mac's name. So when you do a hard reboot, your mac thinks there is already another mac with the same name, so it just adds a number to avoid any conflicts.

Since you know this isn't the case, you can just rename the mac by going to system preferences and going to the Sharing section.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Are you still on AppleCare? Call them. That blue screen with black vertical stripes sounds bad. That plus the sequential numbering. My MacPro went to (2) recently, but only after I had to clone the HD and reinstall it after the logic board and graphic board borked.