MYOB (Accounts software) alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jeremy h, Jan 5, 2011.

1. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I'm a longtime user of MYOB - (Mind Your Own Business) accounts software. I've got an old version on a MacBook Pro which I'm looking to update (both the laptop and the accounts software.)

It looks as if MYOB is no more (taken over by Mamut (?) and a quick google reveals that a lot of MYOB users are pretty unhappy as they seem to want expensive ongoing service agreements etc etc).

I've been really, really happy with MYOB - so can anyone out there recommend something very similar? My needs are not huge, no payroll etc but do want job numbers, VAT reporting etc etc. I'm in the UK so needs to be ready to use off the shelf here.

Did come across Intuit - anyone used it and MYOB and can comment?

2. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

There is no good Mac accounting software.

I started a thread on this the other day and no one replied http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1067237&highlight=

Having looked through macupdate and searching forums, I could not find a single decent accounting package, whether single-entry or double-entry.

You may want to try the TinyBooks demo but will probably find it too limited and the interface is a bit antiquated.

3. jeremy h thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi Shinji

Thanks for the response - sorry missed your previous thread.

Hmmm... I really thought with the explosion of interest in the Mac over the past few years there would be loads to choose from!

I'll take a look at TinyBooks but after a few googles it does look like I might be heading back over to Mamuts new versions of MYOB to try that. Intuits offerings seem to get very bad reviews particularly in terms of crashes and stability - something that would terrify me with accounts software.

I'll have a look round and report back...

4. weckart macrumors 68040

Well, the Apple stores sell Business Accountz, which is a UK based accounting package. It looks like it runs on Java (Win/Mac/Linux compatibility) and is not the prettiest looking application.

But that seems to be your lot for the moment.

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Do let us know if you find something, Jeremy.

6. mitchrushing macrumors newbie

Open source Postbooks by xTuple is great accounting software for Mac

Suggest that you take a look at PostBooks this is a complete accounting system, inventory, CRM and VAT functionality and runs on a Mac. There's a global support community and online videos to get you up and running in no time.

And one of xTuple's showcase customers is located in the UK, so you can be sure there application has been throughly reviewed.