Myspace Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WobblyCheese, Nov 16, 2007.

1. WobblyCheese macrumors newbie

WobblyCheese

Hey all, myspace announced today the official release of mobile.myspace.com. This intrigues me because even on wifi myspace is rather painful to deal with. However, going to mobile.myspace.com through safari on my iPhone will simply redirect to myspace.com. I assume this is because myspace sees safari is full HTML and not cell phone WAP.

Is there any way to visit mobile.myspace.com on my iPhone? Thanks for any input.

2. ddk121 macrumors 6502

3. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

It would be awesome if MySpace would get their regular site working first before diving into these other design ventures. Their Web site absolutely sucks and is usability HELL.

I love the random times when I click on a friend's pics link only to be asked to log in, and then when I log in and expect to be taken to the pictures, I'm taken to my homepage, so then I have to re-navigate to my friend's page and click on their pics link again. And that's only the start of things.

4. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

It means they havn't sorted it out properly yet.

mobile.macrumors.com works fine, so there's no reason why myspace wont after they've activated it.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

That has nothing to do with it if macrumors mobile works and myspace mobile doesn't work.

I also emailed Myspace about having like a http://iphone.myspace.com like facebook has, and multiple times i got back that they are working on one.

6. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

righto! Myspace ui S U C K S. The search functions are the absolute worst and its impossible to find anything. I guess wealth has made tom very lazy.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It isn't easy running a website that has over 175 million users fyi.

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

facebook is a close second place and they are blowing myspace out of the water with quality of interface

9. wrboyce macrumors 6502

I couldn't agree more. Facebook is a very impressive web application. I myself am I web application developer, and the differences are staggering. Unobtrusive ads, good design, easy navigation, quick feature roll-out.. The APIs are very well made, accompanied by very good documentation. The iPhone interface is probably one of the nicest MobileSafari WebApps out there.

On the other hand, we have MySpace. Never works properly, ugly, and full of 12 year olds, pedophiles and spam.

I don't know why I needed to have this rant, but it appears to have just flown out.. To summarise, I can live without (mobile|iphone).myspace.com ;)

my 1 pence

10. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

I guess it's quite easy and fashionable to do a bit of myspace bashing these days- but you so right.

11. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I hate myspace:p

better go check my freind req's though...:rolleyes:

12. WobblyCheese thread starter macrumors newbie

WobblyCheese

Despite myspace's horrible code/design, I still use it and I use facebook as well. At any rate though I found out you can "sort of" go through google's proxy and type it in, however I can't seem to actually log in. Try it out, maybe someone else can log in.

Go to:

http://www.google.com/gwt/n

Then type mobile.myspace.com.

For whatever reason it will not let me log in though.

13. AthleticTrainer macrumors newbie

If you remember, not too long ago MySpace Mobile was a PAY service through Cingular, and only worked on certain handsets.

14. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

mobile.myspace.com doesn't do anything on an iPhone other than redirect to their main site. I'm sure it looks at your useragent and decides which site to take you to. Another screw up for myspace.

As for myspace, it's a complete disaster. It still constantly errors out, has a huge array of spyware and various other javascript trash all over it. Links don't work quite often, and allows various de-facto "no no's" such as music on page load and 1mb background images.

Mobile safari is the best mobile platform I've seen for the regular myspace site, but on EDGE's 150k network it still takes a long time to load, and you have serious javascript load times.

Also, I don't want to hear that 175M people websites are impossible to run. Facebook, Youtube, Google, just to name a few, are just fine.

You can't even compare facebook and myspace. Myspace is what a few high school kids probably could muster together during lunch time and facebook is an industry standard creating powerhouse. The code behind the two is lightyears apart.

15. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

Amen. I'm going to +1 on this post. MySpace got too big for its britches too fast. Facebook established a model that WORKED, that's one reason why I gravitated towards Facebook as my general "networking" site. MySpace to me is just a big joke to throw dumb videos up. Facebook lets me get things done.

Oh, and their login process is quick and painless. I still can't get over the login disaster at MySpace.

16. rusty. macrumors member

rusty.

17. mrwilmoth macrumors member

18. dvkid macrumors regular

Doesn't look like it. When visiting myspace.com and mobile.myspace.com through Google's site squeezer they both appear identical. There used to be a Firefox add-on that let you change the type of browser it looked like you were using. Maybe I should try that...

19. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

they wont do it because of their affiliation with Helio. Helio's and iPhone's are supposed to be competitors remember?? One of their selling points for the Helio is it's functionality with Myspace. Forget about a mobile version of myspace for the iPhone.

20. dvkid macrumors regular

Wrong. Honeymoon is over. Or is that contract? I get so confused.

Anyways, the idea of this new mobile version of Myspace is to allow it to be accessed on any internet enabled phone (iPhone included). And when asked if a version that worked on the iphone was coming (the current version defaults to the regular myspace.com layout) a MySpace tech replied:

21. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I emailed myspace too a while back, and they said they were working on one too.

And the helio issue shouldn't matter. If that was the case, myspace mobile would only be for it, and only it.