MySQL: Trying to learn but how do I use it on Mac?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by cloud, Oct 26, 2008.

1. cloud macrumors member

Hello all,

I am a MySQL n00b, but I was trying to learn it. I bought a great book called "Head First: SQL". It uses MySQL in its examples.

So, my question is how do I install and use MySQL on my Mac? I'm running Mac OS 10.5.

Thanks for any help that comes my way. Have a great day!

:apple:

2. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

If you are just looking to learn and experiment, I would suggest the free version of MAMP. (http://www.mamp.info/en/index.php)

MAMP (Macintosh, Apache, Mysql and PHP) creates a local, disposable server on your computer where you can test all sorts of PHP/mySQL concoctions.

It works great, and if you break something badly, you just trash everything and reinstall!

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

4. notnek macrumors 6502

notnek

+1 for sequel pro. especially in the last couple months.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

How to set it up? The first step is to down load the package
    http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/
    Get the "comunity" verson, that's the free one

You may run into a snag but then at least you'd have a specific narrow question you could ask. then you run in to the next hang up and you ask another specific narrow question. After a few cycles of this then you will be up and going

OK to head off the first few questions. Which of the many Mac files should I download? Get the .tar version that matches your system. How to unpack a .tar.gz file? Double click it. the finder knows how to handle it.

6. memco macrumors 6502

True, MAMP might have more functionality than he needs, but it's the quickest and easiest way to get up and running with MySQL. It's also pretty easy to connect to the server via Sequel Pro, which is a nice interface for working with SQL.

7. thewright1 macrumors regular

thewright1

I second that... I love MAMP, it may be a little too much if you're beginning, but you'll definitely grow into it if this is what you do.