Myst V install help on an intel iMac? Patch doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by raptorclaws, Dec 4, 2007.

1. raptorclaws macrumors newbie

Hi everyone--long time reader, first time poster :).

I bought Myst V about a year ago, tried to install it on my 20" intel iMac (I bought the computer in August 2006. It has: 2GHz Core Duo processor, 512 MB RAM, OS 10.4.11), and failed.

I downloaded the patch that everyone always helpfully points to, only to get an Applescript error when I tried to run it (it said, if i remember right, "command exited without zero status" or something like that). Then the installer just ran and ran for, like, hours, with nothing happening. I had to force-quit it.

During my internet scourings, I also ran across someone who had managed to get Myst V to install by messing around in Terminal, but I find that sort of terrifying.

I can get Myst IV to install and run fine, but nothing at all happens when I insert the Myst V dvd. I can't even find any kind of installer icon on there (I'm guessing maybe the Setup folder contains some useful stuff, but i just found a bunch of .exe files in there).

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. You guys always have the best info!

2. jasonroyle macrumors newbie

I bought the game over a year ago now, worked fine on my G4 powerbook but I got myself the 24" :apple: iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8ghz 4gig ram just before christmas last year.

I forgot I had myst V for a while and so yesterday I tried installing it, I couldn't wait to see how my new mac would handle it...
    But...
    I got exactly the same error message as raptorclaws here, Has anyone found a solution???... Really wanna get playing it now...

Never liked that java installer... I think it has been slightly problematic in the past also...

Thank you.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I googled and found some patch thing that installed that ran while I did the installer and forced it to work. But I can't remember what it is. I'm sure if you google it and include what is says you should be able to find it.

4. jasonroyle macrumors newbie

Cheers for the reply...

I managed to get it working last night.
    All I did was install it on to my G4 powerbook first then copy the files from the application folder on the G4 powerbook to the applications folder on my iMac, Works fine, shame the max resolution in myst v is 1024x768 though. :D

Obviously its not a great solution because it requires that you have more than one mac, one of which being a pre intel.

5. clarity780 macrumors newbie

Jason you are a legend! I just copied it over from the Disc into a Myst file and wholla! It works.

Thankyou so much. Now I have a good way to chill after a long day at work :):D:cool:

6. Kalliope macrumors newbie

Can you please elaborate on that solution?

I'm also trying to install Myst V on an intel mac. I don't have access to an older mac. The installer patch exits with the applescript error mentioned above.

I don't understand the part about copying it from the disc to a Myst file. What kind of file do I create? Do I create it in the Applications folder? Which files do I copy over from the disc?

Thank you.

7. jasonroyle macrumors newbie

Need the old mac

My solution requires access an older mac.

Basically you install myst v on an old, none-intel mac.
    The installer will create a folder inside the Applications folder on your Macintosh HD and it is this folder that you simply copy over to the Applications folder on the newer intel-based mac.

Sorry no solution that I know of without the older mac.